Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 07 Feb '13 02:46


    Despite the mistakes, I still managed to put my pieces around the white king. Was there something I missed there?
  2. Standard member ChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    07 Feb '13 03:07
    I'm no expert, so take this with a grain of salt.
    I don't care for your second move, in short, it invites a hole either on d3 or d4. Holes are usually a great place for an opponent's outpost. Black had faster development, your king side sleeps. I'd develop before launching an assault, unless there is a trap or trick line involved.
  3. 07 Feb '13 03:12
    Oh, I was black!
  4. Standard member ChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    07 Feb '13 03:22
    Originally posted by WanderingKing
    Oh, I was black!
    My mistake...
    Spit out the 1 grain of salt.
  5. 07 Feb '13 03:35
    Originally posted by WanderingKing
    [pgn]
    1.e4 e5
    2.c4 Nf6
    3.Nc3 Bc5
    4.h3 O-O
    5.Qf3 b6 {this seemed like a good idea at the time. That bishop on b7 was supposed to be strong...}
    6.d3 Bb7
    7.Qg3 Nc6
    8.Bh6 Nh5 {I forgot that I need my bishop on c8 for this to work.}
    9.Qg4 g6
    10.Bxf8 Kxf8
    11.Be2 Nd4
    12.Bd1 Nf4
    13.Nf3 f5 {A desperate attempt to bring the b7 bishop into action.}
    ...[text shortened]... es, I still managed to put my pieces around the white king. Was there something I missed there?
    I don't know but 14...Nxd3+ looks pretty good.
  6. Standard member DeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    07 Feb '13 03:42
    8. ... Ne8 avoids losing the exchange. Your king is a little exposed at the end, but you are not short of material. The exchange is about quality not quantity, since there aren't any open files yet it isn't one that matters. You shouldn't resign that position.
  7. 07 Feb '13 03:51 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    8. ... Ne8 avoids losing the exchange. Your king is a little exposed at the end, but you are not short of material. The exchange is about quality not quantity, since there aren't any open files yet it isn't one that matters. You shouldn't resign that position.
    I wouldn't have resigned if I my clock hadn't been ticking way too fast for me. I had less than two minutes to my opponent's 7. In such tactical positions I usually spend a lot of time trying to find a killer. I didn't find anything, and in the final position I didn't even see a way to complicate things. So I expected the game would go on to an endgame where I would lose on time or be mated because of having too little time to think.
  8. 07 Feb '13 06:31
    Time trouble occurs when you are brought out of your territory. Don't worry about what you could do from this position, worry about how you ended up in this position... I noticed you didn't write anything about where you think you went wrong.

    Basically, you should note up a game and be critical of yourself... Wherever you think you went wrong point it out then the rest of us(not really me but GP Paul L and Paulbuchman) can tell you where you're being too critical.
  9. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    07 Feb '13 12:18
    Originally posted by WanderingKing
    [pgn]
    1.e4 e5
    2.c4 Nf6
    3.Nc3 Bc5
    4.h3 O-O
    5.Qf3 b6 {this seemed like a good idea at the time. That bishop on b7 was supposed to be strong...}
    6.d3 Bb7
    7.Qg3 Nc6
    8.Bh6 Nh5 {I forgot that I need my bishop on c8 for this to work.}
    9.Qg4 g6
    10.Bxf8 Kxf8
    11.Be2 Nd4
    12.Bd1 Nf4
    13.Nf3 f5 {A desperate attempt to bring the b7 bishop into action.}
    ...[text shortened]... es, I still managed to put my pieces around the white king. Was there something I missed there?
    What do you think about 13...Nxd3+ good or bad?
  10. Subscriber Paul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    07 Feb '13 13:15
    Originally posted by WanderingKing
    I wouldn't have resigned if I my clock hadn't been ticking way too fast for me. I had less than two minutes to my opponent's 7. In such tactical positions I usually spend a lot of time trying to find a killer. I didn't find anything, and in the final position I didn't even see a way to complicate things. So I expected the game would go on to an endgame where I would lose on time or be mated because of having too little time to think.
    If it was me, I would have played right to the end under those clock conditions. You have nothing else to lose, and 7 minutes could easily allow your opponent to make a mistake.

    In positions like that with short time, you need to adjust your mental process and go into "swindle mode". Don't bother trying for deep combos. Instead aim for simple threats and "two-movers" that require very little time on your part, but require your opponent to see and counter them.

    The difference between swindlers and other players is that other players resign in positions like these, while they don't.

    Be a swindler!
  11. 07 Feb '13 13:43
    An obvious cheapo to try at the end (it's got to be better than resigning):
  12. 07 Feb '13 18:34
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    An obvious cheapo to try at the end (it's got to be better than resigning):
    [pgn]
    [FEN "r2q1k2/pbpp3p/1p4p1/2b1pp2/2P1Pn2/2NP1nQP/PP3PP1/R2BK2R w KQ - 0 1"]
    [SetUp "1"]

    {--------------
    r . . q . k . .
    p b p p . . . p
    . p . . . . p .
    . . b . p p . .
    . . P . P n . .
    . . N P . n Q P
    P P . . . P P .
    R . . B K . . R
    white to play
    --------------}
    15. Qxf3 Bxf2+ 16. Qxf2 Nxd3+
    [/pgn]
    I wish I had noticed that!

    Paul: The problem is that I don't see two-movers quickly enough. But you're probably right, I should have played to the end. But I just didn't see anything to do and indecision costs time...
  13. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    08 Feb '13 00:54 / 6 edits
    Originally posted by WanderingKing
    [pgn]
    1.e4 e5
    2.c4 Nf6
    3.Nc3 Bc5
    4.h3 O-O
    5.Qf3 b6 {this seemed like a good idea at the time. That bishop on b7 was supposed to be strong...}
    6.d3 Bb7
    7.Qg3 Nc6
    8.Bh6 Nh5 {I forgot that I need my bishop on c8 for this to work.}
    9.Qg4 g6
    10.Bxf8 Kxf8
    11.Be2 Nd4
    12.Bd1 Nf4
    13.Nf3 f5 {A desperate attempt to bring the b7 bishop into action.}
    es, I still managed to put my pieces around the white king. Was there something I missed there?
    This is what I was thinking of when I asked if you thought 13...Nxd3 was good or bad.

  14. 10 Feb '13 02:33
    I don't know if its been said, but instead of Nh5, you could have played Ne8! With f5 on the cards, Plus you don't lose the knight
  15. 10 Feb '13 06:59
    Originally posted by theReturnOfTheKING
    I don't know if its been said, but instead of Nh5, you could have played Ne8! With f5 on the cards, Plus you don't lose the knight
    This is a good example. When you set a goal (defend g7) look for multiple ways to achieve this goal, don't play the first idea right away especially in critical positions like this where an acurate defense is needed. With knights they can often play to two different squares that defend a common square.