1. Canela RS
    Moves
    25 Apr '08 03:30
    In your opinion, what country has the most strong players?

For me RUSSIAN.
  2. Joined
    06 Apr '08
    Moves
    25 Apr '08 04:09
    I really do not think there is much debate here. I just looked at the top 50 active fide rated players. 16 out fo 50 wer from the russia or the ukraine. Only guy the US has is nakamura. Yes Russians dominate chess. No big surprise there.
  3. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    25 Apr '08 04:35
    The US also has Gata Kamsky, Alexander Onischuk, and Alex Shabalov in the top 100. Gata Kamsky is one of the best players in the world, former top 3.
  4. Joined
    06 Apr '08
    Moves
    25 Apr '08 04:39
    All russian defects. Just proving more the point. Russians dominate.
  5. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    25 Apr '08 04:54
    Alex Shabalov isn't a Russian defect. And it doesn't matter if they're defects or not, they're American. Gata Kamsky has lived in the U.S. from a pretty young age.
  6. Joined
    06 Apr '08
    Moves
    25 Apr '08 05:00
    shabalov was born in latvia and studied with tal. He did come to the US as a child. Ok the US imports a lof of good russian players. I am not going to argue whether they should count as representing us chess or not. We would go in circles on that one.
  7. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    25 Apr '08 05:09
    Latvia is not Russian. Russia = Russian, Latvia = Latvian. That said, I agree. The strongest U.S. player that's actually American is probably Larry Christiansen.
  8. Joined
    06 Apr '08
    Moves
    25 Apr '08 05:16
    give me a break. Pioneer place. Shirov tal shabalov. Latvia is part of russian chess culture. Do not be ridiculous. And I can even argue latvia is part of russia.
  9. Joined
    06 Apr '08
    Moves
    25 Apr '08 05:17
    yeah I really like larry christensens games. Fun. I do not understand them +any better than I understand Tal's but fun.
  10. Joined
    06 Apr '08
    Moves
    25 Apr '08 05:27
    actually I better now ever try to do that that would really piss off the latvians here who were under forced Soviet control from the 40 to the 80s? pretty much the cold ware years general guess -but yes maybe the golden years of russian chess well apart from fischer. Thank you fischer.
  11. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    25 Apr '08 06:13
    Originally posted by onehandgann
    give me a break. Pioneer place. Shirov tal shabalov. Latvia is part of russian chess culture. Do not be ridiculous. And I can even argue latvia is part of russia.
    Your ignorance and arrogance about Baltic peoples is insulting.
    My mothers' family came to the US from Lithuania and I grew up listening to first hand accounts of the wanton murders and destruction committed by Russians against all the Baltic countries. All Baltic languages and cultures pre-date Russia.
    The Soviet Union was not exclusively Russian. I guess you do not know the difference.
    Tal was Latvian not Russian.
    Petrosian was Armenian not Russian.
  12. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    25 Apr '08 06:15
    Originally posted by caissad4
    Your ignorance and arrogance about Baltic peoples is insulting.
    My mothers' family came to the US from Lithuania and I grew up listening to first hand accounts of the wanton murders and destruction committed by Russians against all the Baltic countries. All Baltic languages and cultures pre-date Russia.
    The Soviet Union was not exclusively Russian. I gues ...[text shortened]... do not know the difference.
    Tal was Latvian not Russian.
    Petrosian was Armenian not Russian.
    Well said!
  13. Joined
    06 Apr '08
    Moves
    25 Apr '08 07:06
    exactly what I was worried about. Just trying to say that latvia was part of russian chess culture many russians in latvia and lot of russian culture there because of the occupation. I do not deny the history and violence. Sorry if offended anyone.
  14. Joined
    06 Apr '08
    Moves
    25 Apr '08 07:14
    or maybe I should say soviet chess culture the history instead of russian. I don' know. The occupation and then independence well it makes it kind of confusing for idiots like me how to labels thing in any kind of "correct" way.

And what team did Tal and Petrosian play on for example. Did Tal play for the latvians and Petresion for the armenians or did they play on the the same soviet team? See what I am getting at? grew up in the same soviet chess culture. Am I wrong in thinking that?
  15. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    25 Apr '08 07:212 edits
    Originally posted by onehandgann
    or maybe I should say soviet chess culture the history instead of russian. I don' know. The occupation and then independence well it makes it kind of confusing for idiots like me how to labels thing in any kind of "correct" way.

And what team did Tal and Petrosian play on for example. Did Tal play for the latvians and Petresion for the armenians o ...[text shortened]... what I am getting at? grew up in the same soviet chess culture. Am I wrong in thinking that?
    "Soviet chess culture" would be better designation as many talanted chess players from USSR were not Russians.

About teams - dont mix terms "team" and "country".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree