Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 12 Sep '12 17:34 / 3 edits
    These are two interesting positions from today's blitz games.

I'll start with the second game first.

On move 23, I (black) found a brilliant way to lose a piece out of a position with virtually no losing chances.

Position after white is piece ahead:

Any sane person would resign. It's also an extreme case of bad manners to play on (hehe), but I had to see if I could pull one more from the fire.

After throwing caution to the wind, (after all you can only lose once), I managed to get this position:

And after 30 ... e3 31.fxe3, I finally had genuine swindle chances.

31. ... Qe4

32. Bd3 ??

Black is won!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now for the first game ...

Black To Move

(See Move 10)

I was black in the following three minute game.

Edit: Starting with move 11 the notes are a move out of sync. I always have trouble with this.
  2. 12 Sep '12 19:41 / 1 edit
    Hi Paul.

I missed my swindle from a few days ago.
    Had a lad who took the QNP with the Queen. A challenge.
    (on anther thread somewhere I was just pushing a line where White
    takes the QNP with a Queen!)

4/0 I lost but the idea and the game was fun.

3. 12 Sep '12 20:54
    Nice Game! I may print this one out and look at it with real pieces.

I was looking at Qxd5 Qxd3 when I read the note. It's wild that a counterstroke like that is in there. I'm not saying your opponent cheated, I don't even suspect such. But usually, when I lose a blitz game, and lots of similar sharp lines occur, AND my opponent only uses seconds for the whole game, I smell a rat. Things like that can't be worked out in seconds, but you do have to account for the occasional luck. It's when your opponent has three or four of these deep tactical sequences without using clock time that you have to worry.

Well, enough of the anti-computer rant, the game itself is very nice.
    Around move 18, all sorts of ideas spring to mind. (18.Bg6!? or ?! ... 18.Ng4 (with Nxh6 and Qh4 attacking d8 ideas or maybe Ng4 c4 and then Rb5). The attack is there in many forms!
  4. 12 Sep '12 22:19
    Hi Paul.

NO box there. I saw Qxd5 - Qd3 right away. (he'd been there before).
    We played about four games - I had black with three we swapped.
    I won 2 Black's insisted on colour changed after I lost.
    It's all first instinc at blitz.
    I could fathom out everything after f6. so Ng6. - is Qg6 no good (first instinct -
    but it's a burn bridges)

Having great fun ATM Blitzing about 20 rated games a once!
    Won a couple - looking pretty dodgy in one but it's Traps Galore!!!
  5. 12 Sep '12 23:32
    I'm not done looking at the game with real pieces, but this sprang to mind right away.

You have a lot of space, and it will be easier to get your bits going. You are a pawn down, however. Interesting Position

The Nxf2 idea also works on move 8.
  6. 13 Sep '12 00:37
    "I bet he saw that, If I'd had seen how easy it was to see (does that make sense) I may not have played the sac"

Actually, that does make sense. You wanted him in a nice trap in which he might not suspect danger. Then, out of nowhere an unplanned mate in two pops up (which is much easier to calculate in a blitz game) and ruins the whole "surprise". That's happened to me too.

Somehow, I get fixed on a certain mating pattern, and miss the ones that are considerably shorter too. It's easy to just focus on one goal and make it work. Being able to completely "change gears" (poker term too) is really hard, especially at blitz when plan A is working.

Your notes really covered the game quite well. All I can add is a not so good side variation.

7. 13 Sep '12 00:52 / 1 edit
    Hi Paul.

Blergh! where did that come from. does the b2 Knight get trapped.
    I've had that positions a few times now. (maybe with Nd7 instead of
    Be7 then it tranposes into the postion I know - I did the game from memory.
    the rest is 99% sound.)

All my temporary blitz lads have gone to bed.
    Had a good few complete of games. Including one cracker that is just about to close.
    (I think...never too sure these days, but it looks good)

This is finished though Game 9524735 played at approx 15 secs a move - incredible!
    Can he just take the Knight? (move 11) I get two pawns for it and was going see
    what I had when I got there. I played most of the games like that.
    Lost the thread completely in one. Pulled off some good cheapo's.

Edit: Just saw your last post. 18.Ng4. Yes but not then. not at Blitz.
    The Knight on e5 is mr cheapo. My joker.
  8. 13 Sep '12 01:14
    Hi Paul

That other lad has just resigned. Game 9524690
    Pick the bones out of that. Remember I was blitzing along with about
    7 or 8 others. I had to keep this game ticking over else he might leave.

My Lopez Bishop is about to get 'Arked'. Me Arked!
    It's a good job he missed his Knight was pinned when I took on g6.
    Nice double check mate in there (with the Arked Bishop).

I'm knacked. Off to bed.

These guys are great. They love their chess.
  9. 13 Sep '12 02:02
    I think in the Nxf2 line, it gets out. Black has to be defensive for quite a while though.

I liked the games. I was looking at Nxe5 dxe5 Qxe5 Qb8 Bxf6 in the first one. After gxf6, he looks all tied up, but that was just a superficial look.

I am looking at the second one with pieces. I haven't looked very long yet (taking a break to check some auctions), but the first thing I noticed was after 9. ... Nxe5 10.Bd5. It seems to win. More later.
  10. 13 Sep '12 03:03 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by paulbuchmanfromfics
    I think in the Nxf2 line, it gets out. Black has to be defensive for quite a while though.

I liked the games. I was looking at Nxe5 dxe5 Qxe5 Qb8 Bxf6 in the first one. After gxf6, he looks all tied up, but that was just a superficial look.

I am looking at the second one with pieces. I haven't looked very long yet (taking a break to c ...[text shortened]... ns), but the first thing I noticed was after 9. ... Nxe5 10.Bd5. It seems to win. More later.
    I would like to withdraw my last note. 9. ... Nxe5 10.Bd5 does indeed win, but it would NOT lead to a greenpawn position. A variation like that just leads to trade downs and conversions. 😴

I don't really want to annotate this game too much! It's too messy, and I fear it will just end up being a pile of computer analysis.

11. ...Qf6 was great by your opponent. All of a sudden he's on the attack. When I see things just turn around like that, it reminds me of a movie quote. "We were the ones who wanted to buy a caravan." - You have to see the movie Snatch to get that one.

The only thing I will say is that 13. ... Bg4 came to mind. It does work.
    I'll give a good variation and a bad one.

Nxf7 is no good.

Kd7 seems to give black a win.

Thanks for a very entertaining game. It reminds me of one of those old style
    Russian games that you find in a book. Do you remember the game from Estrin's first Two Knights book, that was not in the second one? For some reason that game, seems to come to mind. Anyway, great game! I enjoyed playing through it, but I can't give it justice annotating it!

****EDIT
    I don't want to seem one sided. This is a nice played attack by greenpawn, and I applaud him for it. Here is the whole game, so you can see white get some hits in:

11. 13 Sep '12 09:17
    Hi Paul.

I recall seeing 13...Bg5 just as I was about to send. (my 11.Qh5 was big
    time cheapo hunting.) "It's OK 13...Bg5 14.Bxf7+ will do things."

Round about here I tossed a Knight in one game and a Bishop in another,
    so no time start analysing I had to move quick to keep them on them replying.
    "do things and see if I can catch a blunder" was the order of the day. Traps Galore!

Of course there was no need for them to do so and after every game I pointed
    out a few things but to most I said you moved too fast.

Just moved in one of my other games.
    Woke up, cup of tea, a prison thin roll up, sac a Bishop on f7.
    The perfect start to the day.

Have to see about organising a 1 day no timebank 50 player all play all.
    That should produce some amazing blunders.