1. Joined
    29 Jun '05
    Moves
    14 Oct '06 13:47
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Inasmuch as 1.d4 has been the rare move in world championship matches, I'd say we got our diversity.[/b]
    Why do you say this? I found the following figures a few months ago, but can't remember where. In all the world championship matches from 1886 to 1990, the most common opening first move was d4 (364 times), the next most common was e4 (275 times), and all others totalled only 105.
  2. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    14 Oct '06 15:27
    Originally posted by Essex 3
    Why do you say this? I found the following figures a few months ago, but can't remember where. In all the world championship matches from 1886 to 1990, the most common opening first move was d4 (364 times), the next most common was e4 (275 times), and all others totalled only 105.
    Perhaps I should have said "recent".
  3. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    14 Oct '06 16:21
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Well, 2.f4 IS an option ๐Ÿ˜€.
    or even 1. f3 if you like a challenge. ๐Ÿ˜€
  4. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    14 Oct '06 16:24
    Originally posted by lausey
    or even 1. f3 if you like a challenge. ๐Ÿ˜€
    1.f3 e5 2.Kf2 perhaps.
  5. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    14 Oct '06 18:45
    Originally posted by TommyC
    Kramnik neutralises 1. e4 with the Berlin (ask Kasparov) and Petroff. And now the elite are scared of the Marshall too. Whilst Kramnik himself would have been bonkers to risk facing Topalov's Najdorf.

So, no, probably not. The only feasible exception I can think of that might have lead to a rich battle would have been a 5. Nc3 Petroff. I actually expected to see that in this match.
    the petroff is played to limit play by each side and end in a draw it is not played if you want to win the game.
  6. over there
    Moves
    14 Oct '06 18:53
    I enjoy 1.d4. A Blackmar-Diemer Gambit would have been cool though. ๐Ÿ™‚
  7. Joined
    15 Jul '06
    Moves
    14 Oct '06 18:53
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    the petroff is played to limit play by each side and end in a draw it is not played if you want to win the game.
    That's what tommyc was saying that it's hard to win with e4 beacause of the berlin petorff and marshall.
  8. London
    Moves
    14 Oct '06 21:31
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    Er, so what? That was pretty much my point. Do you know what 'neutralise' means?
  9. Montrรฉal, Quรฉbec
    Moves
    16 Oct '06 13:10
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    For me, eating pasta in a restaurant would represent variety, but that is beside the point. Inasmuch as 1.d4 has been the rare move in world championship matches, I'd say we got our diversity.
    I meant diversity within this match. There should be a "rule" that says, within the 12 games, there must be 4 different oppenings. ๐Ÿ™‚

I might be asking a lot, but it would be cool.
  10. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    16 Oct '06 14:28
    Originally posted by climb2high
    I meant diversity within this match. There should be a "rule" that says, within the 12 games, there must be 4 different oppenings. ๐Ÿ™‚

I might be asking a lot, but it would be cool.
    There were:

1. Slav Defense
    2. Semi-Slav
    3. Catalan
    4. Queen's Gambit Accepted

Nevertheless, it is a stupid rule. Traditionally in World Championship matches, the contestants explore deeply a small range of openings. I think that accounts for a significant aspect of their appeal. This event was remarkable because the reversal of colors did not dramatically alter the choice of openings. Rather, it was a rich exploration of the best choices for white and black.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree