1. Joined
    26 Jan '10
    Moves
    23 Jun '10 20:36
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    I've done it as well solving a double edged position and was looking
    for White's win when infact it was Black to play and win.
    Yep.

When I was looking at the position trying to quickly win as white, the most immediate threat is

1. ... Qf3

This threatens mate in 1.

If it is whites move, anything which permanently prevents this wins.

So, from blacks perspective and blacks move, the move you want to try to push through is the Qf3 move since the game is over if she can get there.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Jun '10 01:47
    Originally posted by Mariska Angela
    I don't see how it's subtle. 😕 Wouldn't subtle mean something like Rfe8 or Kh8 or something like that?
    Even I saw that one.
  3. Behind the computer.
    Moves
    24 Jun '10 05:501 edit
    Originally posted by orion25
    [hidden]That is correct though, according to the answer-book.[/hidden]
    Then why not Qxa1 immediately..? I suppose you gain a tempo.

EDIT: Looking at the position shows that Qxa1 loses the queen. Oops!
  4. Joined
    26 May '02
    Moves
    24 Jun '10 09:54
    Originally posted by Mariska Angela
    I don't see how it's subtle. 😕 Wouldn't subtle mean something like Rfe8 or Kh8 or something like that?

1..Be5!

Ok, "subtle" was probably the wrong word. I was trying to give hints for people attempting to solve the puzzle, without making it too obvious.

I think Be5 is a really nice move because it threatens 2 things at the same time. The most dangerous threat (Qf3) is concealed behind the more direct threat to grab a rook.

When I tried to solve the position I started off looking at 1..Rb5 and 1..c6, hitting the bishop on d5. Those seemed the most obvious tries.

The idea of Be5, blocking the bishop's defence by preventing the pawn on e4 from moving only occurred to me later.
  5. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    24 Jun '10 15:301 edit
    Originally posted by orion25
    This self inflected torture system does help though, it's practically the only study I have done and it has brought me from 1200 tom 1700 in little over a year on this site. And I didn't solve that many puzzles either. (certainly not 200 a day like wormwood...)
    that's exactly the right idea. it doesn't matter much if you do 200 problems in 2h, or 1 problem in 2h, as long as you keep working hard. the effort & torture is what improves you. it's what separates boys from men, and those who improve from those who don't.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree