Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 17 Sep '06 02:44
    Ok, so I've got F9, and I'm trying to organize a DB with all of TWIC's new games. Now, I know how to get the games from TWIC into F9. The problem is that when I open the games I just put into F9 it shows each list separately. So I copied all of these games into one folder called "TWIC". This is fine, except that it still shows the folders separately. So now when I click the dropdown box in the upper right I have a huge list of DB's to choose. I only want there to be two. Database (The one F9 comes with) and TWIC. Anybody know how to do this?
  2. 18 Sep '06 15:04 / 3 edits
    Do you have a list of all of their games, or just their last week + their archives in seperate files?

Anyway, if I import 1 of their PGN files, F9 shows it like it is its own database. I then use F9 and highlight all of the games that are in the source database (the file I just uploaded). WIth all of the games highlighted, I then go to edit tab and hit copy. I then change to the target database that I want to copy the games to, by selecting it in the drop down menu. Once I am at my target database, I go back into edit and hit paste. This will cause all of the games from the source to be merged into my target database. I then delete the files that I downloaded from TWIC so I don't have a ton of databases listed.

Make sense?
  3. 18 Sep '06 15:13
    you could merge all the PGn files into 1 file with a DOS command.

put all the PGNs into a folder
    open a command prompt
    cd into the folder with all the PGNs
    do this command

for %f IN (*.PGN) DO type %f>>collect.out

and they will all be dumped into file collect.out
  4. 18 Sep '06 15:13
    Within each TWIC zip file is a PGN file with all the games in, what you could do is copy and paste games from one PGN file into another - that way you could end up with one huge PGN file. You could try this out with smaller PGN files as an experiement. Does this makes sense?
  5. 18 Sep '06 19:37 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by meyekal
    Do you have a list of all of their games, or just their last week + their archives in seperate files?

Anyway, if I import 1 of their PGN files, F9 shows it like it is its own database. I then use F9 and highlight all of the games that are in the source database (the file I just uploaded). WIth all of the games highlighted, I then go to edit tab and hit c ...[text shortened]... files that I downloaded from TWIC so I don't have a ton of databases listed.

Make sense?
    That's what I did. And it makes sense, but when I deleted the games from each separate TWIC they still remained in the dropdown - which is what I don't want.

EDIT: And when I deleted them things got real screwy with F9.
  6. 18 Sep '06 22:39
    Open fritz, press f12 which opens up the db window. Create a new db and call it all twic games or something. Close that db now. Open the first pgn file for twic games, copy and then on the drop down window click on the db you jsut created and paste in there. Now do the same with the other db's.

I know what you mean that the drop down window is annoying. I'm not sure how you clear it the fastest. If you are desperate you could do this db thing and then save the db somewhere and erase fritz 9 and then put it back on again.

You can also check on chessbase.com and go to support. They have good articles about how to do stuff with fritz. That's how I learnt everything.