1. Joined
    25 Sep '09
    Moves
    01 Jul '10 19:23
    So IDK if this is true, but I heard that he had a heart attack while playing a game. Clutching his chest, he said "I have a win, but it will take time." And then died. Gotta love a story of someone exiting the world doing what they love.

Any truth to it? Are copies of "Search for Perfection" still outrageously priced?
  2. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    01 Jul '10 19:56
    Originally posted by emperor31
    So IDK if this is true, but I heard that he had a heart attack while playing a game. Clutching his chest, he said "I have a win, but it will take time." And then died. Gotta love a story of someone exiting the world doing what they love.

Any truth to it? Are copies of "Search for Perfection" still outrageously priced?
    That's the story, and a good one it is. But, Wikipedia reports, "However Australian grandmaster Ian Rogers reports that Purdy's last words were 'I have to seal a move', and that Purdy 'wasn't even winning in the final position — Cecil wouldn't have mistaken a drawn position for a winning position. ' " So I'm not sure where the truth lies.

Used copies of "The Search for Chess Perfection" are still a bit elevated, but not outrageously. (The few outrageous asking prices probably don't sell.) New copies of "The Search for Chess Perfection II" are available from a couple of sources.

"True Grit" - Starring John Wayne, (Hi I'm) Glen Campbell, and Kim Darby.
  3. Joined
    28 Mar '10
    Moves
    01 Jul '10 20:57
    Seen some outrageous pricces,yes.
    But it's available at new in chess for 34.95$

toet.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree