1. Joined
    10 Aug '12
    Moves
    26 Sep '12 19:58
    there nothing wrong with doing things the old fashioned way is there . Getting a copy of the game score and an actual chess board and moving the pieces . i don't like the analysis board which comes with the site .
  2. Joined
    08 Apr '12
    Moves
    26 Sep '12 20:01
    As far as I know I don't think so.
  3. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    26 Sep '12 20:12
    The old way is a great way to do it! Thumbs Up!

And

BEWARE the analysis board! It has mystical powers that make the chess game sharp and complicated, but the positing ability becomes weak and silly looking! I can only hope it's not one of Satan's tools. Hallelujah! Praise The Lord! 🙄
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Sep '12 20:30
    Originally posted by Julian999
    there nothing wrong with doing things the old fashioned way is there . Getting a copy of the game score and an actual chess board and moving the pieces . i don't like the analysis board which comes with the site .
    I think its possibly better as it impresses the game more on your mind, moving the
    pieces than clicking a mouse, although i have no empirical evidence to back up the
    claim.
  5. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    26 Sep '12 20:57
    Technically, the "old fashioned way" is two people in a room sitting over a chess board; not playing someone you've never met and can't see, hundreds of miles away. Welcome to the internet.

I like the analysis board. It makes one's game sharper. Plus, you don't have to use it, if you don't want to.
  6. Joined
    10 Aug '12
    Moves
    26 Sep '12 21:401 edit
    But if your chess buddies live on the other side of the world correspondence chess is the only way to go . I tried the sites where you play in real time but you both have to be online at the same time . Is like instant messaging its better than email but every time you log on no one you know is on line . It's solves the problem of getting two people together in the room at the same time . 🙂
  7. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    26 Sep '12 21:47
    You may also join a discussion here: Thread 148667
  8. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    27 Sep '12 01:19
    The old fashioned way takes too long. And yes, don't use the analysis board. It's evil. Use something that can save all of your analysis, like ChessBase.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    27 Sep '12 03:392 edits
    Some people feel more comfortable with a real chessboard with pieces to analysis on than these 2D drawing of chess figures. Other people that are used to solving chess puzzles by looking at the 2D board diagrams in books prefer these diagrams provided by the RHP site over the real pieces and boards.

I think the RHP analysis board is great myself, because it instantly shows the current position of any game of several games that you may be playing and after you try a few moves you can cllck an icon and the position returns to its original position. You can flip the board to see the position from your opponents point of view also. I also like the interaction in solving the chess puzzles from the diagrams on-line over book diagrams that don't do anything but stay the same.

I remember that during the first Fischer-Spassky World Championship match that many masters and grandmasters where following the games on analysis boards as they tried to determine what the next move might be. Now, I think Fischer was right in his request to be in a private room so no one could see the moves or even know what the moves were until the game was over. Today there is too much opportunity for cheating, if the moves are known by everyone as they are being played. He was paranoid, of course and did not trust those Soviet players. However, when I look back at it, perhaps he had a right to be.
  10. Joined
    06 Aug '07
    Moves
    28 Sep '12 10:49
    The analysis board is great but it doesn't help your OTB chess as much as working from a static board.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    28 Sep '12 18:46
    Originally posted by kbear1k
    The analysis board is great but it doesn't help your OTB chess as much as working from a static board.
    I am proof of that.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree