don't touch your pawns

don't touch your pawns

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B
Death

is no semi-colon

Moves
10 Jun 09

Originally posted by philidor position
oh boy, I never thought this could turn out like this. you people sound like you don't only love chernev, but you all absolutely hate computers. I mean not only dislike them, but hate them.
It must really grate on these computer-hating Luddites to have to use one to play online chess. Unless, of course, they all log in on their phones๐Ÿ˜›๐Ÿ˜‰

B
Death

is no semi-colon

Moves
10 Jun 09

i guess at the end of the day, 'don't push the pawns in front of your king' is a useful rule of thumb that is widely applicable to a great number of positions but, as always, it is essential to play the concrete details of each position, and sometimes it will be appropriate to break the rule. Part of attaining mastership, i imagine, is learning to recognise when the rule can be broken with impunity.

Also, if the queens are off, it's a lot less dangerous, i think.

rc

Moves
10 Jun 09
1 edit

Originally posted by Blackamp
It must really grate on these computer-hating Luddites to have to use one to play online chess. Unless, of course, they all log in on their phones๐Ÿ˜›๐Ÿ˜‰
i played against computers for maybe four years, for i never knew of any clubs, none of my friends played chess, my wife was not interested and my son was still too young and i never heard of correspondence chess, and i grew to loath them with a vengeance.

i can count on one hand, no make that two fingers, the number of wins i managed and the pain of so many defeats has left me psychologically scarred. (he twitches a little with an involuntary movement of nerves just below the left eye).

they simply do not play as humans, and therefore how can one capitalise or recognise a mistake? they play horrible, unappealing and almost non comprehensible moves. i have yet to see a beautiful computer game, perhaps if anyone knows of any they may post.

t

Moves
10 Jun 09

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
i played against computers for maybe four years, for i never knew of any clubs, none of my friends played chess, my wife was not interested and my son was still too young and i never heard of correspondence chess, and i grew to loath them with a vengeance.

i can count on one hand, no make that two fingers, the number of wins i managed and the pain ...[text shortened]... ves. i have yet to see a beautiful computer game, perhaps if anyone knows of any they may post.
A mistake is a mistake is a mistake. A weakness is a weakness is a weakness.

To answer your question, you just play chess.

rc

Moves
10 Jun 09

ok so now you can tell when the silicon beast has made an error of ten one billionths of a pawn? i bow! ๐Ÿ˜›