1. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    19 Jul '07 21:41
    Originally posted by OrangeKing
    I think the game is technically not solved - the USA Today article: http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/mathscience/2007-07-19-checkers-solved_N.htm

It merely says that:

Schaeffer's proof is what is called a "weakly solved" result. It calculates the result from an initial position — 10 pieces on the board — rather than from the beginning of the gam ...[text shortened]... it wrong and it's only solved for 10-pieces-or-less, which wouldn't shock me either.
    That is exactly it. He has calculated that any opening leads to one of the 10 piece endgames if both players play perfectly. Of course there is little chance that both players will play perfectly so the game is still good for humans. The same would apply to chess if it was ever solved.
  2. Joined
    13 Jul '07
    Moves
    20 Jul '07 16:52
    Originally posted by Bad wolf
    I would pronounce it drafts.
    Iwould spell it 'draughts' but pronounce it 'drafts'.
  3. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    20 Jul '07 17:17
    Aren't we talking about the 8x8 squares 'checkers' variant? Still something different than the 'International Draughts' 10x10 game!
  4. Standard memberhunterknox
    Hopeless romantic
    The sticks
    Moves
    20 Jul '07 20:54
    I think it would be slightly amusing if chess were proven to be a draw, if only to see the book titles: How to draw with the sicilian, Play 1.d4=, 1001 drawn endgames etc. Sure would save some plus signs for the typesetters.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree