1. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    17 Oct '13 23:15
    Greetings players and fellow patzers.

This was one of those games where I had wished I'd done better,
    but sadly the inevitable thing happened and I eventually caved in...
    possibly to my opponent's expectation of me making a mistake.

...Which is a pretty reasonable expectation, to be fair.

I'm white

If there's any additional input that any of y'all nice people could contribute
    I'd be awful grateful 🙂
  2. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    18 Oct '13 00:544 edits
    I think maybe you win with 37.Qh1.

Only first glances here and only for discussion. I am no expert, that’s for sure.

1. Not sure about 4. b4 as you even indicate. I was thinking instead to develop a piece or maybe 4. h3 to stop the pin. But you did ultimately use the b4 pawn.

2. I understand your tempo thought, but I don’t think you had to do 21.NxN. Maybe instead do the 21. Qb1 you had considered earlier and focus on queenside.

Also maybe 21.Nc4 a decent post for your N and leaving his N in a remote awkward square. If he pawn forked 21 . . . b5, you then go 22. Ne3 with some additional potential activity on the king side which appears to be what you want to do.

3. I just do not know about the late middle game as the trades went toward the draw. It seemed to work out slightly well for him. Not sure if you could have prevented him from grabbing the a-file. Also in hindsight, if you could waited on pushing your h-pawn to h4 and instead focus on shoring up your queen side. But see #4 below.

4. As you indicate, 37.Qh1 would have been interesting. The more I look at it, I think you would have won. And nicely, you use the h-file and grab it. I am not sure what he would have done in reply to 37.Qh1.
  3. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    18 Oct '13 02:04
    Originally posted by moon1969
    I think maybe you win with 37.Qh1.

Only first glances here and only for discussion. I am no expert, that’s for sure.

1. Not sure about 4. b4 as you even indicate. I was thinking instead to develop a piece or maybe 4. h3 to stop the pin. But you did ultimately use the b4 pawn.

2. I understand your tempo thought, but I don’t think you had to do 2 ...[text shortened]... cely, you use the h-file and grab it. I am not sure what he would have done in reply to 37.Qh1.
    1. Usually yeah, development is key, but b4 has had it's uses for me in the past... i think i played it too early though

2. Nc4 may have been interesting... he'd play b5, Knight moves to e3, and he couldn't then take the bishop because I would have RxR
    I may have actually considered that, but I'm figuring the tempo thing swung it for me in the end

3. I didn't see any threats on the a-file... I think the one flaw in my game was that I was in "draw mode" and was not trying to find a win, which to be perfectly honest is useless, unambitious, and perhaps should be why i'm having difficulty in progressing much above 1600 🙁

4. I think after Qh1 he has Kf7, and then retreating to e6, and he may have enough time to scramble his rook back to a7 to keep the draw.
    I don't even know why I went through the bother trying to open up the h-file when I didn't even use it

Fritz seems to suggest the endgame was drawing right up until i played QxQ... never mind, always next time >.<
  4. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    18 Oct '13 11:531 edit
    Originally posted by 64squaresofpain
    I think after Qh1 he has Kf7, and then retreating to e6 . .
    Fritz seems to suggest the endgame was drawing right up until i played QxQ... never mind, always next time >.<
    Yeah, he had an immediate Kf7 (before being put in check). .

Too bad you didn't get the draw. You played for it and apparently Fritz said you had it.

When I offer a draw, especially multiple times, and it rejected, I get fixated on proving the draw.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree