DS chess?

Standard memberPBE6
Only Chess 02 Feb '10 15:43
  1. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    02 Feb '10 15:431 edit
    Has anyone played any of the Nintendo DS chess games? I've been looking for one to play on the subway to and from work (or, let's be honest, in the bathroom), but I'm not having much luck:

(1) Clubhouse Games

The chess game included with this mini-game package is reportedly pathetic. I don't even think I'd buy this as a last resort, no matter how many versions of Tic-Tac-Toe they include to sweeten the deal.

(2) Chessmaster: The Art Of Learning

I was really excited to see a version of Chessmaster for the DS, but apparently they don't make it anymore! What the heck happened, did Waitzkin sue them for pixelation of character? This game is available on Amazon.ca from time to time, but the cost is outrageous - $90!!! For comparison, most other DS games are in the $25-$40 range. Amazon.com has some titles, but with shipping from the US (from those stores that are actually allowed to send video games across the border), the costs are still over-the-top.

(3) Fritz Chess

I was surprised to find this one this morning, having never seen it on any previous searches, but it looks like my best bet. The cost is typical, and Amazon.ca carries so there are no border issues. Unfortunately, I've read some reviews that state the engine has some sort of bug that drastically brings the engine strength down from a reported 2320 ELO to an estimated 1400. 😕

Also, does anyone have a portable chess game on another platform that they really like? I'm all ears, I'm getting sick of reading the fake newspaper on the subway (and, let's be honest, on the toilet).
  2. Joined
    16 Oct '09
    Moves
    02 Feb '10 16:19
    I always play chess on the toilet. If you practice chess on the toilet everyday for 10 minutes, after ten years, it's like over 600 hours of practice! 😉
  3. Joined
    05 Oct '08
    Moves
    02 Feb '10 17:09
    CHessmaster DS was a miss for me. I didn't like the look of the pieces, and I was shocked to discover that the computer has no real opening book. It will play the same moves over and over again. Even on the toughest setting.

I discovered a homebrew chess program for the DS called simply DSchess. It uses a powerful engine and the website claims it has a rating of 2100 (don't know how he tested that). I was delighted to see it varies its openings and it has a pretty big opening book. The website is http://www.vonloesch.de/dschess

Unfotunately, the only way to play the game is to have a modded DS. That's the catch with homebrew DS games. My ds was modded with the R4 card a couple years back. It's a card that fits into the gameboy slot at the bottom. You don't have to open up the ds or solder anything. Just stick the card into the slot and your ds is modded until you take it out.
  4. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    02 Feb '10 17:40
    Originally posted by redhotlawn
    CHessmaster DS was a miss for me. I didn't like the look of the pieces, and I was shocked to discover that the computer has no real opening book. It will play the same moves over and over again. Even on the toughest setting.

I discovered a homebrew chess program for the DS called simply DSchess. It uses a powerful engine and the website claims it has ...[text shortened]... er anything. Just stick the card into the slot and your ds is modded until you take it out.
    Sweet! Thanks for the tip, I should look into getting a mod card for my DS. Any experience with the Fritz Chess DS game?
  5. Joined
    05 Oct '08
    Moves
    03 Feb '10 01:07
    I actually never heard of Fritz chess until you mentioned it so I haven't been able to try it, sorry.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree