1. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    01 Mar '12 21:559 edits
    In group 8 of the 2012 championship tournament, my opponent (white) resigned in view of my (black) threat of a bishop mate.

White resigns in the position below.

The entire game below. 1.f4 opening.

2. Joined
    22 Feb '12
    Moves
    01 Mar '12 22:19
    12.c3 is a mistake, I think 12.d4 keeps the black pieces away for a while.
    19 g4? well... a mouseslip of some sort? I don't know, I would immediatly have gone for 19...Qd5, you use a different move order which is fine.

After your 22...Qxf3+ I would have continued 23.Qxf3,..
    such a finish should be allowed to be played 🙂
  3. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    01 Mar '12 22:387 edits
    Originally posted by Artsew
    12.c3 is a mistake, I think 12.d4 keeps the black pieces away for a while.
    19 g4? well... a mouseslip of some sort? I don't know, I would immediatly have gone for 19...Qd5, you use a different move order which is fine.

After your 22...Qxf3+ I would have continued 23.Qxf3,..
    such a finish should be allowed to be played 🙂
    Artsew, thanks for the post. In his defense about not letting the game end with the mate, I had messaged him "gg" on my last move QxR.

Anyway, as you said, 12.d4 would have been better for him than 12.c3, that's for sure.

Also, 19.g4 was awful. I think he was focused on the e3 square. 19.g4 was a gift.

Lastly, I considered 19...Qd5, but I thought he might have a chance to diffuse an imminent mate, and 19... Nh4 seemed less complicated to me. No detailed thinking on my part. Is the mate forced with 19...Qxd5. White to move below.

Also, I did want to do 20 ... Qd5. It seems intuitive. Yet, he could have knight forked me at c7, and because as you indicate the move order didn't matter, I went ahead without having to think or analyze and just did 20...NxN to provide for a more imminent mate upon Qd5 and render any fork at c7 moot. I know it probably didn't matter but I just didn't want to think about it. Black to move below.

4. e4
    Moves
    02 Mar '12 00:411 edit
    Hi Moon.

Nice ending. Like Arty I would allow the mate if it is pretty and or well worked out.
    Perhaps sending a message at the critical moment was a mistake.
    He resigned robbing you of the mate.

I'm not up for chatting during games. Maybe in the opening few moves
    but after that never. If the guy says something OK a curt reply but I never start it.
    I'm there to swindle, cheapo and checkmate you.
    If I wanted to chat I'd go on Facebook. I chat in the forum.

After the game I always send a thank you PM and point out things.

But Moon. Development. His postion and your lack of it was nearly worth the pawn.
    (he lost the pawn forgetting Knight move backwards).

Let's take a wee fantasy trip. Some fun.

🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree