1. Joined
    09 Aug '06
    Moves
    10 Aug '06 03:06
    Hi,

I've been learning Chess recently, and have tried playing some games against a Chess engine (called KChess). Anyway, according to this Chess engine, it used the opening Petrov: modern attack, Symmetrical variation. Subsequently, this was probably one of the toughest games I ever played. I wish that I would've saved the game. I did end up winning, but at one point it looked pretty hopeless, as I only had a king, two rooks, and some pawns, while black had king, queen, rooks, bishop, and pawns.

So what is generally the best progression for white when faced with this? I found little information on it.
  2. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    10 Aug '06 03:15
    Originally posted by devbanana
    Hi,

I've been learning Chess recently, and have tried playing some games against a Chess engine (called KChess). Anyway, according to this Chess engine, it used the opening Petrov: modern attack, Symmetrical variation. Subsequently, this was probably one of the toughest games I ever played. I wish that I would've saved the game. I did end up winning, bu ...[text shortened]... nerally the best progression for white when faced with this? I found little information on it.
    If you've just started playing chess, and the material looked like that, then the opening isn't your problem.
  3. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    10 Aug '06 06:43
    I find it impossible to believe you won that game if that was the material deficit
  4. Joined
    09 Aug '06
    Moves
    10 Aug '06 14:07
    I think the opening was where the problem began though. In the beginning of the game, I had tried to get both center pawns out to d4 and e4, and black's king bishop proceeded to go to b4 and put me in check. So right from the start the king had to move a few times to keep out of check.

It declined from there; a black night capturing the center, etc.

I should say the computer actually resigned; I didn't actually have checkmate yet. I was on my way to attempting to promote a pawn in order to have some better pieces, and trying to stop black from doing the same.

I know it's hard to believe that I came out of such a deficit alive; I didn't even think I'd be able to win, but I figured I would try to do so.

I just wanted to see what generally is the progression of moves for both sides in such an opening, so maybe next time it happens I have a better chance.

Thanks for the replies.
  5. Joined
    18 Feb '06
    Moves
    10 Aug '06 18:191 edit
    probulaly a week computer there are a few out there.
  6. Joined
    09 Aug '06
    Moves
    10 Aug '06 21:56
    nah, it actually generally does pretty well.

But I'm not here to discuss how I won, I would like to know the best way to respond to this opening and to proceed in the game.

Thanks again.
  7. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    10 Aug '06 22:19
    Originally posted by devbanana
    nah, it actually generally does pretty well.

But I'm not here to discuss how I won, I would like to know the best way to respond to this opening and to proceed in the game.

Thanks again.
    Dev, what are you rated?
  8. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    10 Aug '06 22:39
    the best way for you to deal with the Petroff is to play 1.d4 and avoid it alltogether.

I will now refer you to my favorite website for dummies: http://chesskids.com/level3/cl7l5.htm
  9. Joined
    09 Aug '06
    Moves
    11 Aug '06 02:24
    cmsMaster: Rated? Again I just began playing Chess; I'm not even entirely sure how ratings work yet. Trying to find my way here, and joined this site to perhaps help me a bit, hopefully. What rating does one start at, anyway?

YUG0slav: Thanks for the link; that is very helpful. How on earth do you learn how to analyze all these openings? There are so many, one can't possibly know the best response to all of them.

I'm trying to learn more by playing against a Chess engine right now.

Here's an example of a game I just played against it.

[Event "Casual Game"]
    [Site "?"]
    [Date "2006.08.10"]
    [Round "-"]
    [White "Olivares, Brandon"]
    [Black "KChess Elite 4"]
    [Result "1-0"]
    [Time "18:04:04"]
    [Opening "Bishop's opening: Ponziani gambit"]
    [ECO "C24"]
    [Annotator "Olivares, Brandon"]
    [EventDate " . . "]
    [TimeControl "-"]

1. e4 e5 2. Bc4 Nf6 3. d4 Nxe4 4. Bf4 Bc5 5. dxc5 exf4 6. Nc3 Nxc5 7. Nf3 O-O
    8. O-O Nc6 9. b4 Kh8 10. bxc5 d6 11. cxd6 Nd4 12. Nxd4 cxd6 13. f3 Qb6 14. Nd5
    Qc5 15. g3 Re8 16. Nxf4 Re3 17. c3 Qxc4 18. Nf5 Bxf5 19. Ng2 Rd3 20. Qb1 Qc5+
    21. Kh1 Qe5 22. f4 Qxc3 23. Qxb7 Be6 24. Qe7 Rd2 25. Qxd6 Qa5 26. Qxe6 Re8 27.
    Qxf7 Qa3 28. Qxe8+ Qf8 29. Qxf8# 1-0

I do have the game set for beginner though, so keep that in mind; last time I had it to a higher setting, it nearly killed me. I'm just trying to learn by seeing what stupid moves I make or trying to strategize a bit, which is a bit difficult.

Remember that when I say I'm new to Chess, I mean 8 days kind of new. 🙁 But I really want to become good at it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree