1. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 08:10
    Originally posted by RahimK
    [fen]8/2k1b3/8/1B1PP3/4K3/8/8/8 w - - 0 1[/fen]

White to move.
    What is the difference between this position and the first position I posted?

Why is this a win and the first one a draw?
  2. Joined
    30 Oct '04
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 10:06
    What is the difference between this position and the first position I posted?

Why is this a win and the first one a draw?
    The places of the black king and the bishop are reversed, and the pawns are one step closer to the eighth rank. Were the black king on e7 and the black bishop on c7, that would be a draw.
    The differences:
    1) Black cannot oppose the march of the White king to Ke6 followed by the push of the pawn d6, then Kd5 and the other pawn to e6, resulting in a clearly won position.
    2) Black's bishop is not attacking one of the pawns (not that significant but still an important detail - White need not concern with the protection of the "e5" pawn. As it happens the route of the king provides an accidental protection in this case).
  3. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 18:34
    Originally posted by ilywrin
    The places of the black king and the bishop are reversed, and the pawns are one step closer to the eighth rank. Were the black king on e7 and the black bishop on c7, that would be a draw.
    The differences:
    1) Black cannot oppose the march of the White king to Ke6 followed by the push of the pawn d6, then Kd5 and the other pawn to e6, resulting in a clearl ...[text shortened]... 5" pawn. As it happens the route of the king provides an accidental protection in this case).
    Perfect!

Silman writes:

The bishop has to attack e5 and simultaneously prevent d5-d6+.
    White's king is free to roam to e6 and help his pawns advance.

King and bishop reversed for black and it would be a draw.
  4. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 18:37

White to move here.
  5. back in business
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 18:42
    exchange queens and knights and its a draw.
  6. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 18:48
    Is g6 factored anywhere in that?
  7. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 19:05
    [fen]3b4/2k2p2/3qp3/2n3P1/8/6N1/3QK1B1/8 w - - 0 1[/fen]

White to move here.
    If you learnt your lesson then:

1.Qxd6+ Kxd6 2.Ne4+ Nxe4 3.Bxe4 Bxg5

and it's a draw.

White would struggle if he didn't know about bishops of opposite color endgames.

But good thing, you know now!
  8. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 19:09
    So now i'm curious.

Those people who cheat blindly with their chess programs probably suck at chess. A chess program without endgame tablebase probably won't find Qxd6.

I put it into DFritz 8 and it didn't find it. I don't have an endgame tablebase though.

Does your program find it?

So if these people are blindly following their program, they would have a hard time defending this endgame against a decent player, don't you think?

Like that Trains guy who got banned arguing about an endgame. Obviously he didn't know very much about chess. There were some other fellow to arguing about endings because they were depending on their program.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree