Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 06 Jan '12 23:30
    I've always thought that perhaps anyone could get round being detected as an engine user by simply using it for a few moves here and there. If you did this, wouldn't you get a generally good idea of where to move and set out your game plan without having to adhere to all of an engine's moves? I think it would be very hard to differentiate between an engine user and good player if used like this.

Thoughts?
  2. 06 Jan '12 23:34
    Originally posted by jimslyp69
    I've always thought that perhaps anyone could get round being detected as an engine user by simply using it for a few moves here and there. If you did this, wouldn't you get a generally good idea of where to move and set out your game plan without having to adhere to all of an engine's moves? I think it would be very hard to differentiate between an engine user and good player if used like this.

Thoughts?
    Yeah, I thought this was pretty obvious. I also think engine use is probably a lot more common among the lower ranks than people think. I doubt all or even most people who cheat do so 24/7. Maybe once in a while, if they're particularly frustrated in a game to get them out of a jam.
  3. 06 Jan '12 23:45
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    Yeah, I thought this was pretty obvious. I also think engine use is probably a lot more common among the lower ranks than people think. I doubt all or even most people who cheat do so 24/7. Maybe once in a while, if they're particularly frustrated in a game to get them out of a jam.
    Yes indeedee. Or just to push them over the finishing line or give them an edge in a tournament. Virtually impossible to detect and impossible to prove.