1. Kalispell, MT
    Moves
    30 Aug '08 06:12
    Originally posted by raphael78
    Thanks for all the responses, which I got till now. I really appreciate it.

One of the main reason, why I like the English opening is because the way it opens up the game for white and also the number of other openings it can transpose to. I am prehaps not aware of all the other openings and I feel, if I learn English opening I may get a rub of other o ...[text shortened]... s in the site, which book I should pick and what I can expect from it.

Thanks,
    Raphael.
    I don't pretend to be an expert... I however, like Lukerik, play the opening exclusively.

this site is Jeremy Silman's, the writer of the "Complete Endgame Course" which I also highly recommend. Anyway, this is what Silman writes about "The Dynamic English"

http://www.jeremysilman.com/book_reviews_js/js_dynamic_english.html
  2. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    30 Aug '08 06:57
    Hi All,

I am not well versed with all the openings, but even with my limited knowledge I have a feeling that the English opening for White is quite potent. Its give a very good defense also a lots of attacking options. Also its quite flexible and we can transpose to some other opening if required.

Based on my notions about the English opening, is i ...[text shortened]... e know the best book for it.

Any pointers would be highly appreciated!!

Thanks,
    Raphael.
    I think the English is a good opening for white.
    I don't think there is a "best" opening for white
    however. As far as the best book on the english
    you might try volume A of the encylopepia of
    chess openings.
  3. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    30 Aug '08 08:091 edit
    Originally posted by Heroic Metool
    I'd like to know more about the "Dynamic English" book, too. I'm really sick of playing the London System, and I think the English would be a good way to try for an advantage as white without memorizing lots of theory.
    Theory is not the slightest problem in all but a few openings. If you know what you're doing and understand the positions, it will come naturally.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Aug '08 07:171 edit
    Thanks for all the responses, which I got till now. I really appreciate it.

One of the main reason, why I like the English opening is because the way it opens up the game for white and also the number of other openings it can transpose to. I am prehaps not aware of all the other openings and I feel, if I learn English opening I may get a rub of other o s in the site, which book I should pick and what I can expect from it.

Thanks,
    Raphael.
    I'm no expert obviously, but if you're looking for a repertuare book, go with the Dynamic English. It mainly focuses on the accelerated fianchetto, and in most lines, Ne2 instead of f3.

Karpov's book is more general, and instead of many opening books, it mainly consists of annotations of games played in English.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree