Enjoy

Standard memberWulebgr
Only Chess 30 Sep '08 01:23
  1. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    30 Sep '08 01:23
    I should be embarrassed to post this, but it is a wee bit entertaining. After my abysmal play, I was almost angry at my opponent for letting me get the draw. Even so, it was the biggest upset Saturday morning.

2. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Sep '08 01:353 edits
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    I should be embarrassed to post this, but it is a wee bit entertaining. After my abysmal play, I was almost angry at my opponent for letting me get the draw. Even so, it was the biggest upset Saturday morning.

[pgn][Event "Eastern Open"][Site "River City"][Date "2008.09.27"][Round "1"][White "Wulebgr"][Black "Underachiever"][Result "1/2-1/2"][ECO "A35"][W 0. h4+ Kf6 51. Nd5+ Ke5 52. Nxe3 dxe3 53. Kxe3 f4+ 54. Kf3 1/2-1/2[/pgn]
    maybe your opponent was just lucky and you slightly underperformed
    because a rating diff. of 250 is only an 80% winning chance for the one with higher rating.

I also had terrible loss here, but my opponent will ALWAYS be a lower rated player than me, so let them win a game or two to make themself feel better...
  3. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    01 Oct '08 00:50
    Originally posted by EmLasker
    maybe your opponent was just lucky and you slightly underperformed
    I made my first eight moves in under a minute. Moves 7 and 8 were gross blunders. To have drawn the game after that point reveals why my opponent's rating stays in the weak C range despite constant chess study.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '07
    Moves
    01 Oct '08 01:10
    I made my first eight moves in under a minute. Moves 7 and 8 were gross blunders. To have drawn the game after that point reveals why my opponent's rating stays in the weak C range despite constant chess study.
    Move 7 is OK. Its move 8 that doesn't work. Rb1 and d4 don't go together. After Rb1, play d3 and aim for b4. After 7 Rb1, play, in some order, d3, a3, and Bd2 to get a fairly normal position. Or d3, Ne1 and Nc2.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Oct '08 08:38
    I think you're too harsh on your opponent with that comment. with that rating difference, you should even be able to afford pawn handicaps, and besides, a pawn advantage in the opening is hardly decisive at the club level. (maybe for correspondence it is, but OTB, there are still many mistakes to be made).
  6. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    01 Oct '08 14:36
    Originally posted by diskamyl
    I think you're too harsh on your opponent with that comment. with that rating difference, you should even be able to afford pawn handicaps, and besides, a pawn advantage in the opening is hardly decisive at the club level. (maybe for correspondence it is, but OTB, there are still many mistakes to be made).
    A pawn advantage and the initiative (with Black) after eight moves is usually decisive among the club players I face from D and up, and nearly always for B and up.
    It wasn't merely a pawn. Black had all the advantages: better mobility, piece coordination, time (not the clocks, but tempi), center control.

My opponent, a friend, is frustrated that he studies and studies and seems to stay at the same level. Observing his errors in this game is more diagnosis than criticism. In the postmortem we looked at how he could and should have run me off the board.

I realized the instant after I had posted my remarks yesterday and shut off my computer that move 7 was not so bad, but making it in combination with d4 was. Thanks Erekose for pointing that out.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree