1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    12 Dec '05 01:171 edit
    I just received a puzzling e-mail from the director of an on-line tournament and I was wondering what other people thought of it. The facts are these: I play on FICS and USCL and am a member of the Slow Time Controls (STC) Bunch. I am playing in the STC 2005 Championship with is a 9 round swiss with G/90 time controls. When I play my timed games on the internet, I set up a side board to better visualize the game and as preparation for OTB tourneys. I mentioned this to one of my opponents before a game. Anyway the e-mail went as follows:

It has come to my attention that you use a real board to play your STC games. I have following questions for you:
    - why do you use a real board to play your games?
    - do you know the STC rules concerning this?
    - do you know the FICS rules concerning this?

There is a link on FICS to "abuse help" which spells out various forbidden practices like outside assistance, but no mention at all of a sideboard. Does anyone have an opinion on whether the use of a side board in internet timed games is unethical (I enforce the "no-touch" rule on myself and generally play it like an OTB but would that make a difference?).

EDIT: The FICS link is http://www.freechess.org/WWWhelp/abuse.html
  2. Standard memberRavello
    The RudeĀ©
    who knows?
    Moves
    12 Dec '05 01:30
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I just received a puzzling e-mail from the director of an on-line tournament and I was wondering what other people thought of it. The facts are these: I play on FICS and USCL and am a member of the Slow Time Controls (STC) Bunch. I am playing in the STC 2005 Championship with is a 9 round swiss with G/90 time controls. When I play my timed games on the i ...[text shortened]... that make a difference?).

It's rather strange.
    Even appreciating the fact that you apply the touch move rule ,when indeed not necessary,the complaint of your opponent apparently has no reason to be.
    If the FICS and STC rules do not mention the use of the board to aid position's visualization,then you are playing within the rules and your opponent must be some whiny kiddie.
    I took a look at the link and the only problem would be point (f) if you registered as a blindfold account but I guess this is not the case.
    Out of curiosity,in that site there's something similar like the analize board we have here?
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    12 Dec '05 01:361 edit
    Originally posted by Ravello
    It's rather strange.
    Even appreciating the fact that you apply the touch move rule ,when indeed not necessary,the complaint of your opponent apparently has no reason to be.
    If the FICS and STC rules do not mention the use of the board to aid position's visualization,then you are playing within the rules and your opponent must be some whiny kiddie.
    I too ...[text shortened]... .
    Out of curiosity,in that site there's something similar like the analize board we have here?
    I use the Babas interface for that site and I don't believe it has a function similiar to an analyze board. Most of the games on timed sites are blitz so realistically someone wouldn't have time to use an Analyze feature. I must say that if they insist I can't use a side board I'll probably stop using the site as I use internet timed games as preparation for OTB play and I would consider it far less useful if I have to exclusively use the computer monitor as I want to stay in the habit of plotting out moves on a real board.
  4. Standard memberRavello
    The RudeĀ©
    who knows?
    Moves
    12 Dec '05 01:41
    Just ask the director of the tournament :"Where's the written rule that says I can't set up a sideboard for my games?"

Then if they insist on this topic just find some witty reply and find another site for your pre-OTB preparation.
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    12 Dec '05 01:481 edit
    Originally posted by Ravello
    Just ask the director of the tournament :"Where's the written rule that says I can't set up a sideboard for my games?"

Then if they insist on this topic just find some witty reply and find another site for your pre-OTB preparation.
    I sent him two e-mails in response, one was:

I use a side board because my internet games are preparatory for OTB games, so I find it useful to play under real game conditions. I play the game using the "touch rule" the same as I would in a USCF tournament. I am not aware of any rule in either the STC, FICS, USCL or anywhere else that says I can't use a real board to help me visualize my moves; if there is one, please direct me to it.

The second one simply gave him the FICS link mentioned above.

I sent the two e-mails less than an hour ago, so we'll see. I was just curious if anyone else thought it was unethical or unfair to use a side board; to be quite honest, it never crossed my mind that anybody would object.
  6. Standard memberark13
    Enola Straight
    mouse mouse mouse
    Moves
    12 Dec '05 02:02
    My only guess is that it was a misunderstanding.
  7. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    12 Dec '05 02:10
    How did they find out that you are using a sideboard?
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    12 Dec '05 02:17
    Originally posted by tsantsa
    How did they find out that you are using a sideboard?
    I arrived at FICS at the scheduled time of the match and sent a message to my opponent that I just got home and would be ready in ten minutes (there's a 30 minute grace period) after I brewed a pot of coffee and set up a side board. He made no comments about it at the time, but apparently after the game (which I won) lodged some sort of complaint to the TD.
  9. Standard memberzakkwylder
    Mouth for war
    Burlington, KY
    Moves
    12 Dec '05 02:45
    Does anyone have an opinion on whether the use of a side board in internet timed games is unethical (I enforce the "no-touch" rule on myself and generally play it like an OTB but would that make a difference?).

As long as the board is engine free, I think you'll be in the green.
  10. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    12 Dec '05 03:45
    The sideboard is 'outside assistance'. Why would you use it if it were not assisntance to you? They really should clear it up if they have an issue with it...

P-
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    12 Dec '05 03:48
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    The sideboard is 'outside assistance'. Why would you use it if it were not assisntance to you? They really should clear it up if they have an issue with it...

P-
    I can only pray that they don't have Game Mods as dumb as you on FICS.
  12. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    12 Dec '05 03:591 edit
    Post a prayer request in Spirituality.

I just recently started playing at FICS using Babas. Check out Channel 40 chat sometime. It's the religious chat channel. It makes Spirituality look like a Phi Beta Kappa meeting.
  13. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    12 Dec '05 04:03
    People who don't agree with you 100% are dumb morons... I get it.

I was just pointing out a fact, and also think they should make it clear if using a sideboard is outside assistance.

P-
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    12 Dec '05 04:11

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    12 Dec '05 04:13
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Post a prayer request in Spirituality.

I just recently started playing at FICS using Babas. Check out Channel 40 chat sometime. It's the religious chat channel. It makes Spirituality look like a Phi Beta Kappa meeting.
    I don't go anywhere near the chat channels on the other sites; reading the RHP forums has been enough of a traumatic experience to last a lifetime.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree