Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    26 May '09 02:49 / 1 edit
    Those who are sincere at winning games and improving there ratings here at RHP or any Correspondence Chess institution should read Winning at Correspondence Chess by Tim Harding. Written in 1996, this often overlooked book goes into many details of the mechanics of Correspondence Chess. i.e. Setting up your playing area, managing your time, record keeping, deciding your game load, using Correspondence Chess as a tool to improve your over the board results, are just a few of the topics covered in this wonderful little book. Some of the ideas are a bit dated (such as the use of postcards), nevertheless, the tools in this book will help anyone maximize there results, and get the very most from there natural talents.
  2. Standard member Blackamp
    Death
    26 May '09 05:31 / 2 edits
    You can pick up a copy, new, here: http://www.amazon.com/Winning-Correspondence-Chess-Batsford-Library/dp/0805047301/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1243315766&sr=1-1

for $0.48. or if your budget doesn't stretch that far, you can get a used copy for $0.28.

EDIT: of course, the cost of postage will boost the total cost by several hundred percent.
  3. 26 May '09 08:47 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by bill718
    Those who are sincere at winning games and improving there ratings here at RHP or any Correspondence Chess institution should read Winning at Correspondence Chess by Tim Harding. Written in 1996, this often overlooked book goes into many details of the mechanics of Correspondence Chess. i.e. Setting up your playing area, managing your time, record keeping, d ...[text shortened]... book will help anyone maximize there results, and get the very most from there natural talents.
    I have ordered the Book from the United states of America, weeeeeeee! hopefully it will take ages to come so i can finish my other book, Pawn structure chess, and then after that, simple chess, and after that i may even find time to finish the Prudy book that i left half finished! thanks for recommendation Bill
  4. 26 May '09 09:41
    I have an autogrpahed copy.

I met Tim Hardin at the Edinburgh Chess Club.

http://chessedinburgh.co.uk/chandlerarticle.php?ChandID=214

Tim's column on Chess Cafe is one of the best on the net.
    His latest one is a brilliant article on Phildor.

http://www.chesscafe.com/Tim/kibb.htm

Interesting thing happened when I googled 'hardin + chess'
    it's top hit was a game in progress played on here - try it,
    remember to use lower case.
  5. 26 May '09 10:05
    Harding's book on the Evans Gambit gets my thumbs up too.
  6. 26 May '09 13:58
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    I have an autogrpahed copy.

I met Tim Hardin at the Edinburgh Chess Club.

http://chessedinburgh.co.uk/chandlerarticle.php?ChandID=214

Tim's column on [b]Chess Cafe
    is one of the best on the net.
    His latest one is a brilliant article on Phildor.

http://www.chesscafe.com/Tim/kibb.htm

Interesting thing happened when I googled 'hardin ...[text shortened]... '
    remember to use lower case.[/b]
    "Interesting thing happened when I googled 'hardin + chess'
    remember to use lower case."

Switched off, went out, came back, switched on.

That game is no longer top hit. The RHP game is now 9th/10th.

Is that how google kind of works - it give you a top hit from
    a site your frequent the most?

Wish Diskmayl was still here - he knows these things.
  7. 27 May '09 20:46
    "Interesting thing happened when I googled 'hardin + chess'
    remember to use lower case."

Switched off, went out, came back, switched on.

That game is no longer top hit. The RHP game is now 9th/10th.

Is that how google kind of works - it give you a top hit from
    a site your frequent the most?

Wish Diskmayl was still here - he knows these things.
    It gives you the most frequently viewed/most relevant. That way if the most frequently viewed page has those words in it but has nothing to do with what you are searching it won't give you that as a top hit since it isn't relevant.
  8. 27 May '09 20:53
    Seems to change all the time.

anyway User 325946 keeps popping up in the top 10
    when you google 'hardin + chess' - never mind.
  9. 27 May '09 21:55
    Seems to change all the time.

anyway User 325946 keeps popping up in the top 10
    when you google 'hardin + chess' - never mind.
    It will change often especially if a certain subject becomes popular or if that subject doesn't have many views. For example, you use the phrase "hello world, we come in peace" and, say, every single site with that phrase only had one view each. Now the top ten will be most relevant(not sure how they measure that) but then you got all the way to the last one and view that one. Next time you search that phrase that will be the #1 hit provided nobody viewed any of the other sites. In other words, topics without a lot of views will change often as one or two views after you last search can be the difference between the top and the bottom.