1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Sep '12 03:403 edits
    When I first started playing chess, I saw a need for me to memorize some openings so that I could at least survive to a fairly even middle game and maybe even a better one. However, after 30 years of complete absence from playing chess, I came back with just a vague recollection of the openings that I had played in my younger days. Therefore I started back playing again on RHP in hopes of reclaiming some of my former knowledge before returning to USCF rated OTB chess.

One is not likely to attempt an unsound opening trap on RHP because we know our opponent has plenty of time to look up the opening moves to see what the proper moves should be. However, since I have retuned to OTB play at a chess club, I have been caught in several opening traps. The following is the latest one that I got caught in after my opponent had heard that I was a sucker for opening traps. It is also an example of when bringing the queen out early is the right move.

2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    15 Sep '12 06:43
    😴
  3. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    15 Sep '12 06:49
    😴
  4. In attack
    Moves
    15 Sep '12 10:57
    There is no way on God's Earth or any other that someone of your rating can fall for a trap this simple
  5. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    15 Sep '12 11:33
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    When I first started playing chess, I saw a need for me to memorize some openings so that I could at least survive to a fairly even middle game and maybe even a better one. However, after 30 years of complete absence from playing chess, I came back with just a vague recollection of the openings that I had played in my younger days. Therefore I started back ...[text shortened]... ion that ends with a quick checkmate.} 5. Nxf7 Qxg2 6. Rf1 Qxe4 7. Be2 Nf3 {Checkmate}
    [/pgn]
    Taxi for R J Hinds!!!!!
  6. e4
    Moves
    15 Sep '12 12:45
    I'd love to join in on the 😴 but it's chess.

I recall about 3 years ago just me one lad on the blitz site.
    He kept playing 3...Nd4 and I won with a mixture of 4.Nxd4 4.c3.4.Bxf7+!?

After one game I said I won't fall for 4.Nxe4. He said he was giving it up
    He had never caught anyone with it.

"Why did you not say? Go for it again, I'll fall into the mainline and get mated."

He did and I was. He was over the moon in thanking me ......then left me all alone in the blitz room!! 🙁

----------

That trap is so old you will find it carved in latin on Hadrian's Wall.

If I got it OTB or even on here I think i would give 4.Nxe4 a shot.

7. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    15 Sep '12 14:33
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Nd4 4. Nxe5 Qg5 5. O-O Qxe5 6. c3 {That looks like it has the makings of a very interesting fun game. Especially with Black thinking that he has bagged another victim when he sees 4.Nxe4.}
    4... Ne6 and sit on it. He has (after 5. d4) a massive pawn centre, but you have a piece more and you have that piece developed - he only has the bishop. Sit on your material. After that, IYAM, it really will be 😴.

Richard
  8. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    15 Sep '12 18:53
    Originally posted by morgski
    There is no way on God's Earth or any other that someone of your rating can fall for a trap this simple
    If RJ knew about the fork or the skewer, he'd be rated 3300!
  9. Joined
    27 Apr '07
    Moves
    15 Sep '12 18:56
    Even i know that trap, and I suck at chess.
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Sep '12 19:21
    Originally posted by SmittyTime
    Even i know that trap, and I suck at chess.
    Well, hopefully no one else will get caught in it, but I doubt it, because as they say -- there is a sucker born every second.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Sep '12 19:25
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    I'd love to join in on the 😴 but it's chess.

I recall about 3 years ago just me one lad on the blitz site.
    He kept playing 3...Nd4 and I won with a mixture of 4.Nxd4 4.c3.4.Bxf7+!?

After one game I said I won't fall for 4.Nxe4. He said he was giving it up
    He had never caught anyone with it.

"Why did you not say? Go for it again, I'll fall int ...[text shortened]... ecially with Black thinking that he has bagged another victim when he sees 4.Nxe4.}[/pgn]
    well, greenpawn34, how about telling everyone on here what was my best move against that young kid that I posted on the thread "Find the best move."
  12. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    15 Sep '12 20:32
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Well, hopefully no one else will get caught in it, but I doubt it, because as they say -- there is a sucker born every second.
    It's every "minute" not "second". Can't you get anything right ?
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Sep '12 20:451 edit
    Originally posted by thaughbaer
    It's every "minute" not "second". Can't you get anything right ?
    I have said many times before my memory isn't as good as it used to be.

P.S. Perhaps you can get the correct answer on my post "Find the best move."

If no one gets it soon, I will go ahesd and post the answer today.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree