Fantastic Game Classical VS Hypermodern

Fantastic Game Classical VS Hypermodern

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

p

Moves
21 Sep 08

This is another of my favorite battles.
This is one true fighting game you are about to see. It features endgame maestro Pal Benko against the master of the Modern Defense Duncan Suttles.

A brilliant game by both sides.
Note the way Suttles rips apart the center. His only critical error in the game was 31. ...e4 overlooking 34. Rd3. Trading queens on move 31 would have drawn!
I will post more annotations on the board upon request.

New Braunfels, Texas

Moves
22 Sep 08

Thank you for the post. You are adding valuable threads to this forum.

Let me ask you: If you were Black after Kxg1, would you resign? I'm in NO way qualified to correct a gm in this game, but doesn't 35...Q-f5 at least cover the mate at f8 and block the passed pawn? Is there enough of a flicker of a hope for ...Q-g4 and just the vague outline of endless checks or R-h1+? Sure, 36Q-d8+ and 37Q-d7+ removes the Queens and the Black pawns start falling to the active White Rook, but at my level would there be just a bit of hope to play on a few more moves? Of course if I'm missing a 1-mover or tactic feel free to embarrass me with a correction. 😳 I guess at my level I just hate to put up the white flag. 😠

p

Moves
22 Sep 08

Originally posted by MontyMoose
Thank you for the post. You are adding valuable threads to this forum.

Let me ask you: If you were Black after Kxg1, would you resign? I'm in NO way qualified to correct a gm in this game, but doesn't 35...Q-f5 at least cover the mate at f8 and block the passed pawn? Is there enough of a flicker of a hope for ...Q-g4 and just the vague outline of endle ...[text shortened]... barrass me with a correction. 😳 I guess at my level I just hate to put up the white flag. 😠
Hi
The real killer in the position after Qf5 is 36. Rg3!. All the back rank problems are still there and even after h6 37. Qd8 + is going to mate. 🙂

Thanks for the kind comment about my posts. I was wondering whether my posts were self serving and annoying or actually helpful and appreciated. 🙂 These games are some that really made an impression on me through my years of study. I will try to think of and find some more of my favorite/ most instructive games. 🙂