1. In your face
    Moves
    21 Mar '08 21:14
    Can anyone tell me the advantages of 'fianchettoing'. I have tried this opening and and don't really see any benefits from it. Especially if my bish gets wiped out. Then I have a gap in front of my king, inviting unwanted invaders into my throne room. Are there any real pros or is it just a handy alternative if let's say, you can't open and castle in the usual fashion?

Cheers

Jimmy
  2. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    21 Mar '08 21:161 edit
    Originally posted by jimslyp69
    Can anyone tell me the advantages of 'fianchettoing'. I have tried this opening and and don't really see any benefits from it. Especially if my bish gets wiped out. Then I have a gap in front of my king, inviting unwanted invaders into my throne room. Are there any real pros or is it just a handy alternative if let's say, you can't open and castle in the usual fashion?

Cheers

Jimmy
    Fianchetto is good because you control the long diagonal from distance, you strengthen your castling as so.. In what particular opening are you using it ?
  3. Joined
    12 Feb '05
    Moves
    21 Mar '08 21:382 edits
    You'll have at least some pressure along the longest diagonal(s) of the board. (ofcourse that's only when your bishop isn't blocked in by pawns).
    If you're concerned about your king's safety when your bishop is 'wiped out', make sure you don't lose the bishop. If you can retain the bishop your king's position is extremely solid.

For example in this position, black to move, you play Re8, so you can answer Bh6 (trying to exchange your fianchettoed bishop) with Bh8.
  4. In your face
    Moves
    21 Mar '08 22:00
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    You ask that question with that rating ?!

Fianchetto is good because you control the long diagonal from distance, you strengthen your castling as so.. In what particular opening are you using it ?
    I'm not sure what openings I've used it with. I've never really studied chess and therefore, don't know any names of them. I have tended to open 1. e4 e5 2. Kn f3 as of lately. I haven't used the fiancheto for a while and was thinking about incorporating it in my game again as I seem to have hit a plateau.
  5. Joined
    02 Jul '07
    Moves
    21 Mar '08 22:35

Cheers

Jimmy
    The advantage is that is just looks so darn cool, like being an Old West gunslinger who puts his guns in the holsters with the butts facing out and drawing cross-armed.
  6. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    21 Mar '08 22:40
    Originally posted by Doctor Rat
    The advantage is that is just looks so darn cool, like being an Old West gunslinger who puts his guns in the holsters with the butts facing out and drawing cross-armed.
    Also, you may get a few draws off of players like doctor rat, instead of getting your a@@ kicked every game 😉 !!!!
  7. In your face
    Moves
    21 Mar '08 22:44
    Originally posted by Doctor Rat
    Would Zippo tricks be a good analogy?
  8. In your face
    Moves
    21 Mar '08 22:451 edit
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    Also, you may get a few draws off of players like doctor rat, instead of getting your a@@ kicked every game 😉 !!!!
    I'm not talking to you. You beat me and I'm a really sore loser. 😛
  9. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    21 Mar '08 22:48
    I'm not talking to you. You beat me and I'm a really saw loser. 😛
    Are you sure it was me...I don't see you in my performance stats?
  10. In your face
    Moves
    21 Mar '08 22:51
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    Are you sure it was me...I don't see you in my performance stats?
    Ooops. Sorry. You haven't won yet.
  11. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    21 Mar '08 23:13
    Ooops. Sorry. You haven't won yet.
    Thank you for letting me know I have the game won though, I will look very closely at it now 😉 !!
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Mar '08 23:211 edit

Cheers

Jimmy
    when I met this structure, I also was too worried about the bishop exchange. Moreover, when my opponent had a fianchetto, my most important plan would be to exchange the fianchettoed bishop, but actually it's not that much of a problem, because the non-fianchettoed side has a hard time taking advantage of the weakened king side because he also lacks that certain bishop. also, your opponent most of the time spends several tempi to do the exchange (like putting the queend and the bishop in the same diagonal), that should make things even. (in general).
  13. In your face
    Moves
    21 Mar '08 23:28
    Originally posted by diskamyl
    when I met this structure, I also was too worried about the bishop exchange. Moreover, when my opponent had a fianchetto, my most important plan would be to exchange the fianchettoed bishop, but actually it's not that much of a problem, because the non-fianchettoed side has a hard time taking advantage of the weakened king side because he also lacks that ce ...[text shortened]... ng the queend and the bishop in the same diagonal), that should make things even. (in general).
    AHa! Yes, that makes sense with the bishop. The knights will really struggle to attack too. This make it clearer. Thank you!
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Mar '08 23:41
    AHa! Yes, that makes sense with the bishop. The knights will really struggle to attack too. This make it clearer. Thank you!
    the most dangerous thing about fianchettoes I experienced is pawn attacks like h4 (and later h5). they are more dangerous and faster than normal kingside formations because you already have one pawn pushed.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree