Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Standard member TheQuinnOfAMS
    Chessplaya
    01 Aug '07 18:16
    I can't get on FICS both the website and server (I use BabasChess and Thief). Can anyone that's on FICS confirm?
  2. Standard member hammster21
    Endgamer
    01 Aug '07 19:18
    I've been trying to get in for the last 2 days. Babaschess won't let me connect and the website is down so I'm going to say yes, its down.
  3. Standard member TheQuinnOfAMS
    Chessplaya
    01 Aug '07 19:26 / 1 edit
    That's too bad. FICS is down quite often, I'm thinking of switching to World Chess Live when it comes up
  4. 01 Aug '07 19:42
    What is this FICS that is down? Haven't you heard of PlayChess?
  5. 01 Aug '07 20:01
    Originally posted by z00t
    What is this FICS that is down? Haven't you heard of PlayChess?
    there's a major difference, FICS is free and the other is not.
  6. Standard member anthias
    ambitious player
    01 Aug '07 20:02
    Not all people are willing to pay. We must still respect them..
  7. 01 Aug '07 21:58
    Originally posted by z00t
    What is this FICS that is down? Haven't you heard of PlayChess?
    My sentiments exactly.
  8. Standard member wormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    02 Aug '07 13:28
    it's working again...


    "news 1260
    1260 (Thu, Aug 2) FICS and the website experienced some downtime due to technical problems

    The server and the website were down for about 24 hours, but now it should all be ok again. You might "finger foxbat" for detailed information."
  9. Standard member TheQuinnOfAMS
    Chessplaya
    02 Aug '07 14:54
    Finger note 2 " 2: I've decided that chess sucks."

    Sounds like a dedicated admin
  10. Standard member wormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    02 Aug '07 16:05
    Originally posted by TheQuinnOfAMS
    Finger note 2 " 2: I've decided that chess sucks."

    Sounds like a dedicated admin
    maybe he added it after working 24h to get the server up?
  11. Standard member TheQuinnOfAMS
    Chessplaya
    02 Aug '07 19:25
    It's hard to get a Standard game on FICS these days. I'm considering buying Fritz and going to playchess but everyone knows ICC is the best.
  12. 02 Aug '07 19:33
    Originally posted by TheQuinnOfAMS
    It's hard to get a Standard game on FICS these days. I'm considering buying Fritz and going to playchess but everyone knows ICC is the best.
    There are only 500 players on ICC when there are 8,000 on Playchess daily. Everyone knows that ICC is full of rude kids taking up the half-price membership.
  13. Standard member wormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    02 Aug '07 20:33
    Originally posted by z00t
    There are only 500 players on ICC when there are 8,000 on Playchess daily. Everyone knows that ICC is full of rude kids taking up the half-price membership.
    true there are rude kids on ICC, but

    set quietplay 2

    and you'll never hear of them again. problem solved.