FICS the toughest at blitz?

FICS the toughest at blitz?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

b

Hainesport, NJ, USA

Moves
27 Nov 06

Here are my ratings on 4 blitz sites

ICC=1562
World Chess Network=1446
FICS (Babbas)=1414
Playchess (Fritz)=1533

Aside from the fact that i'm pretty miserable at blitz, you can see that i'm highest on ICC and Playchess and lowest at WCN and FICS by about 100 points. That ratio has been pretty steady over about a year. You statisticians out there will probably deny it, but FICS seems to have the toughest opponents (at least where i'm concerned). Probably, there are plenty of people who've had the same experience. No?

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
27 Nov 06

Originally posted by buddy2
Here are my ratings on 4 blitz sites

ICC=1562
World Chess Network=1446
FICS (Babbas)=1414
Playchess (Fritz)=1533

Aside from the fact that i'm pretty miserable at blitz, you can see that i'm highest on ICC and Playchess and lowest at WCN and FICS by about 100 points. That ratio has been pretty steady over about a year. You statisticians out there wi ...[text shortened]... e i'm concerned). Probably, there are plenty of people who've had the same experience. No?
You can't compare different ratings and claim one site is tougher than others based solely on that.

What are the average ratings of the different sites? What percentile are you in for each? What is the starting rating in each?

H
Renouned Grob Killer

Moves
27 Nov 06

Originally posted by XanthosNZ
You can't compare different ratings and claim one site is tougher than others based solely on that.

What are the average ratings of the different sites? What percentile are you in for each? What is the starting rating in each?
Exactly, the ratings relative to the general median, is all that matters, not the points

b

Hainesport, NJ, USA

Moves
27 Nov 06

I knew the statisticians would deny it. How about Im more likely to get beat on FICS. Would that make it a tougher bunch?

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
27 Nov 06

Originally posted by buddy2
I knew the statisticians would deny it. How about Im more likely to get beat on FICS. Would that make it a tougher bunch?
you get beaten in roughly 50% of games against your peers rated the same as you on both sites.

think of the respective ratings to be measured in 'yards' and 'meters'. lets say your icc rating was 1500 'yards' and fics rating '1400' meters. now both ratings might actually be the same 'length', yards just being a shorter, so it takes 1500 of them to stretch the same distance as 1400 meters. you get my drift?

however, if on fics 1400 was the average and also your rating, and 1300 average on icc and your rating there 1500, that would justify saying "fics players are on average stronger than on icc".

if we don't have an average or median etc. for both pools, there's no way to even guess which was stronger.

it's exactly same as with fide vs. bcf. -you wouldn't go saying british players were far stronger just because a GM scores only 260 bcf but 2600 fide, now would you.

S

Moves
27 Nov 06

Personally I would imagine that FICS would be the weakest crowd...

why? well, because other sites require payment.....and if your willing to spend cash on suscription i think its a good bet you'd also spend monney of books/dvds -- and actually read them.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
27 Nov 06

Originally posted by Shinidoki
Personally I would imagine that FICS would be the weakest crowd...
It is. However, they have fewer protections against several forms of cheating than the other sites mentioned.

b

Hainesport, NJ, USA

Moves
27 Nov 06

v

Moves
28 Nov 06

buddy2:
about 2000 here and 1500 in blitz on FICS ??? very strange, I usually suspect such players(with high rating difference between different time controls)...Look: for example I am about 1750 here and I am about 1800 in blitz in FICS(and I am not a fast player)

S

Moves
28 Nov 06

Originally posted by vipiu
buddy2: for example I am about 1750 here and I am about 1800 in blitz in FICS(and I am not a fast player)
1718 here and 1400 blitz FICS.

i know that I havn't cheated....which means you must have.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
28 Nov 06

Originally posted by Shinidoki
1718 here and 1400 blitz FICS.

i know that I havn't cheated....which means you must have.
lots of good blitz players do relatively bad in CC, as just by not dropping pieces in blitz you get very high, but here the same thing gets you only to about 1600.

b

Hainesport, NJ, USA

Moves
28 Nov 06

vipiu, suspect all you want. I don't really understand the dynamics myself. I am 1800+ over the board uscf (whatever that means). I have never used an engine at rhp (or anywhere else, except playing over lost games or playing the computer). I know there are lots of players of higher ratings at blitz and lower ratings at RHP. Why? I don't really know. I do know at RHP you have a chance to be more accurate. If you have say 4 possiblities, you have 3 days to figure out which is the best. At blitz you have seconds. Some players don't take advantage of the time element at RHP. I've even have some players resign in good positions, for what reason i don't know. I've never had that happen in blitz. I'd like to get better at blitz. I play an average of 3,4 games total a day on various sites, but have never gotten higher than 1600. Maybe my wife yelling at me in the background is a factor.

FL

over there

Moves
28 Nov 06

I tried playing at FICS but I didn't like the interface as well as Playchess'. On Playchess my blitz is 1810 and bullet 2011. The premove makes it a lot easier, but also adds another element to the game. Premoving too much makes you drop pieces, but premoving too little can result in a time loss.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
29 Nov 06

Originally posted by Falco Lombardi
I tried playing at FICS but I didn't like the interface as well as Playchess'. On Playchess my blitz is 1810 and bullet 2011. The premove makes it a lot easier, but also adds another element to the game. Premoving too much makes you drop pieces, but premoving too little can result in a time loss.
what interface? did you try babaschess? I don't think the playchess interface comes even close...

b

Hainesport, NJ, USA

Moves
29 Nov 06

Try the babbas interface, Falco. I'll think you'll like it, and it has lots more configurations than playchess. My big hangup is boards that are too small for my lousy eyesight. On Playchess i always maximize the board. I can't play bullet; it's too nerve-racking. As your game gets faster and faster, it becomes less and less like chess and more of a reflex sport, like table tennis. Which is fine if you like it, but i don't and am terrible at it.