1. Joined
    07 Dec '06
    Moves
    12 Dec '06 05:41
    Hey everyone.

I’m sure you get a lot of people asking what to do when they first start playing chess. For the last 3 days I’ve been going from websites to databases to problem puzzles etc. And I think I’m improving a fraction. I can only play as white because it’s probably easier to plan how I’m going to play… But once I finish the opening and got everything set up… It falls apart like a sandcastle and the opponent tricks me with his fancy techniques until I’m completely rear-ended…. And when I watch people’s games, I find it very hard to understand why people do certain moves. But in the middle of the game I’m amazed because that move they did 4 moves into the game benefited them up to their 50th move… It impresses me. So what should I do to improve my game? Any help is appreciated
  2. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    12 Dec '06 05:50
    Originally posted by danielkirk1
    Hey everyone.

I’m sure you get a lot of people asking what to do when they first start playing chess. For the last 3 days I’ve been going from websites to databases to problem puzzles etc. And I think I’m improving a fraction. I can only play as white because it’s probably easier to plan how I’m going to play… But once I finish the opening and got eve ...[text shortened]... heir 50th move… It impresses me. So what should I do to improve my game? Any help is appreciated
    Go to forums, search forum, type in

Need help getting to 1400, when you find it go to page 2 and follow those links and my advice.

After that you can search for need help getting to 1600, read the whole thing.

After that check out my other threads.

Rahim K
  3. Joined
    07 Dec '06
    Moves
    12 Dec '06 05:56
    Thank you very much.
  4. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    12 Dec '06 08:35
    http://www.chesstactics.org/
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Dec '06 08:53
    Just have fun. Learn what your pieces do and how to use them together to launch an attack. Study your pawns....

If you want to study other people's games, then choose a person from this site(at a level you can understand) and learn from playing over their past games.
  6. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    12 Dec '06 09:20
    You need someone to PM you & talk you through a game move by move, giving you the reasoning behind each move & what to look for.
    That would increase your learning far quicker than reading up on a wealth of info.
    Not that I'm suggesting I'd do that of course...
  7. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    12 Dec '06 09:30
    n0000000000000000000000000000000b
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Dec '06 09:41
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    You need someone to PM you & talk you through a game move by move, giving you the reasoning behind each move & what to look for.
    That would increase your learning far quicker than reading up on a wealth of info.
    Yes, that's good advice. If you had someone to help you through the game, explaining what the moves mean then a low-rated player would quickly increase their rating. Unless they are IHC or something. Of course in that scenario it would take a lot longer, and the teacher would have to be very patient.
  9. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    12 Dec '06 09:45
    Trouble is, a lot of my games are very attacking & have a few blunders or at least dubious moves.
    I don't mind helping out if the OP is interested.
    Would it have to be an unrated game because surely the site rules mean you can't get assistance?
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Dec '06 09:57
    Oh yeah, games in progress. Can you discuss unrated games? I wouldn't know.
  11. Launceston
    Moves
    12 Dec '06 10:33
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    Yeah thats a good idea. I'm by no means a great player but I do seem to have a knack for explaining concepts to people (I'm a teacher by trade after all), and I'ld be happy to play a few games with daniel if no-one else is up for the challenge, and of course, if he wants my help.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree