First Win on RHP!

First Win on RHP!

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PoC

Moves
02 Feb 13
3 edits

I was rather proud of my closing. I play black.

Game 9804507

Please add comments as there are some interesting lines that could have been. I'm new to any form of annotating. Criticism of my play too please! I'd love to learn.

Trent

W

Moves
02 Feb 13
2 edits

Congratulations! Well done and thanks for the annotations.

I wonder why you played 4...c6. What was the purpose of this move? I suppose it was to defend d4, but wouldn't it be better to wait with it until white plays c4?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
03 Feb 13

Originally posted by WanderingKing

I wonder why you played 4...c6. What was the purpose of this move? I suppose it was to defend d4, but wouldn't it be better to wait with it until white plays c4?
He said that he was playing his defensive opening system to this Queen Pawn Opening with out much regard to what White did up to a point. So it appears that he had in mind the Slav Defense, so the move 4...c6 fits right in there, because it not only supports d4, which e6 is unable to do at this point, but it also opens up more squares for the Black Queen.

I see no reason for him to wait for White to play c4, because it is not clear as to when White plans to play it, if at all, in the opening. About the only other move that Black might play that makes any sense, if he wanted to wait before committing the c-pawn is the developing move 4...Nbd7.

t

Moves
03 Feb 13
4 edits

Originally posted by Phantom of Chess

Game 9804507

[pgn][Event "Open invite"] [Site "http://www.redhotpawn.com"] [Date "2013.01.25"] [EndDate "2013.02.02"] [Round "?"] [White "oldtimesinger"] [Black "Phantom of Chess"] [WhiteRating "1054"] [BlackRating "1459"] [WhiteElo "1054"] [BlackElo "1459"] [Result "0-1"] [GameId "980450 icism of my play too please! I'd love to learn.

Trent
If you didn't have a reply to 18.Qc1 then why play 17...Nc6? You have plenty of time to think in these games so I would reccomend refraining from hope chess.

Maybe with a little extra time you find that 18.Qc1 you have 18...c2+ 19.Qxc2 Nb4 20.Qd2 Bc3 21.Qxc3 Qxa2+ 22.Kc1 Rac8

Other than that, congrats on the win. 🙂

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
03 Feb 13
12 edits

Game 9804507

[pgn][Event "Open invite"] [Site "http://www.redhotpawn.com"] [Date "2013.01.25"] [EndDate "2013.02.02"] [Round "?"] [White "oldtimesinger"] [Black "Phantom of Chess"] [WhiteRating "1054"] [BlackRating "1459"] [WhiteElo "1054"] [BlackElo "1459"] [Result "0-1"] [GameId "980450 icism of my play too please! I'd love to learn.

Trent
I think you played a very good game so I have no real criticism and only a couple comments.

PoC

Moves
03 Feb 13

Originally posted by WanderingKing

Well, I'm not sure exactly why the move should have been made honestly. I made it because it was suggested by a database as the proper move. I used the database at www.365chess.com. I understood from the Terms of Service that these were permitted during a game. I really don't know any opening stuff, so I utilize databases to not go wrong too quickly. Although, I probably ought to learn some opening theory on my own.

t

Moves
03 Feb 13

Well, I'm not sure exactly why the move should have been made honestly. I made it because it was suggested by a database as the proper move. I used the database at www.365chess.com. I understood from the Terms of Service that these were permitted during a game. I really don't know any opening stuff, so I utilize databases to not go wrong too quickly. Although, I probably ought to learn some opening theory on my own.
Try the database until you find an opening you like, the one you keep coming back for. Openings are important, not for theory but because they shape the middle game and give rise to different tactics more often than other openings. you want to study the games of masters who play the openings you play and watch their piece placement and try to work out their plans, don't be afraid to come on this forum and ask if you don't understand, somebody will have an answer. Study the tactics that appear often, say when you watch the masters play, you see sacs happen often on e6... Find out the criteria for this sac, what makes it successful? What common patterns exist in the arrangement of the pieces when it is played in master's games? Then, when you become proficient in this phase of the game and you start losing against better players in the endgame, start studyung it more than tactics and middlegame plans, but make sure you limit yourself to endgames common to the opening you play.

At least, this is my theory on how one should study. It gets murky because there can be many different openings out of the first couple of moves... To this I would think to play openings where the difference is mainly piece placement with no difference in pawn structure. Pawn structure is really important and way more often than not shapes the plans we should make when playing a game of chess.

W

Moves
03 Feb 13

My point is that you moved the pawn twice in the opening, which looks like a waste of move to me. It doesn't mean that it is a waste of move of course. It could make sense, but I don't see it at the moment.