1. Joined
    09 Aug '01
    Moves
    26 Feb '09 19:41
    i think you'll get a high bid for this book. scarce book and plenty of chess book acquirers out there to bid up the price.

and most likely the over 40y crowd will remember how to read descriptive chess notation.
  2. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    26 Feb '09 20:43
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    i think you are correct, infact i have been studying a little book written in descriptive notation and the concepts are so much easier to visualise for a patzer king like me. for example it states and i quote

'the development of bishops to Bishop 4 appeals less and less to a player after he reaches championship class. Here follows examples of di ...[text shortened]... o longer refer to algebraic notation, but try to lead a renaissance in descriptive notation!
    Algebraic notation (AN) has its own advantages, but this is one case where descriptive notation is, well, more descriptive.

In my AN version of your book, your quote translates as, "The development of Bishops at c4 (c5) or f4 (f5) appeals less and less..."

By the way, I love the "Purdy biff". The first time I saw that word, I wondered, "What the heck is a biff?" 🙂
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Feb '09 21:23
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    Algebraic notation (AN) has its own advantages, but this is one case where descriptive notation is, well, more descriptive.

In my AN version of your book, your quote translates as, "The development of Bishops at c4 (c5) or f4 (f5) appeals less and less..."

By the way, I love the "Purdy biff". The first time I saw that word, I wondered, "What the heck is a biff?" 🙂
    Lol, yes the Purdy 'biff', 'oi mate, you biffed me bishop at King Bishop four', its just like you say, so much more descriptive, i don't care if its illegal, my goodness Sultan Khan wrote his notation in Hindi!
  4. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    26 Feb '09 21:331 edit
    Lol, yes the Purdy 'biff', 'oi mate, you biffed me bishop at King Bishop four', its just like you say, so much more descriptive, i don't care if its illegal, my goodness Sultan Khan wrote his notation in Hindi!
    I don't know if FIDE rules really prohibit descriptive notation (too lazy to check for myself), or whether it was just the ol' Greenpawn humor. But here in the states, USCF rules actually allow descriptive or computer notation!

Edit - Looks like GP wasn't joking this time. I guess FIDE Article 8.1 really does require recording games in AN. How 'bout that?
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Feb '09 21:382 edits
    I don't know if FIDE rules really prohibit descriptive notation (too lazy to check for myself), or whether it was just the ol' Greenpawn humor. But here in the states, USCF rules actually allow descriptive or computer notation!
    whats computer notation, is that like the long version of algebraic or something completely different.

fide Pah!, they would try to make it metric if they could! My goodness they tried to make time metric in France at one point!
  6. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    26 Feb '09 22:11
    whats computer notation, is that like the long version of algebraic or something completely different.

fide Pah!, they would try to make it metric if they could! My goodness they tried to make time metric in France at one point!
    Computer notation doesn't identify the pieces, only the "from" and "to" squares. For example, take the AN moves:

1.e4 e5
    2.Nf3 Nc6
    3.Bb5 a6

In computer notation it would be:

1.E2-E4 E7-E5
    2.G1-F3 B8-C6
    3.F1-B5 A7-A6

Can you imagine borrowing your opponent's score sheet in the middle of a game and seeing all of the moves in computer notation? 😲
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Feb '09 23:31
    Computer notation doesn't identify the pieces, only the "from" and "to" squares. For example, take the AN moves:

1.e4 e5
    2.Nf3 Nc6
    3.Bb5 a6

In computer notation it would be:

1.E2-E4 E7-E5
    2.G1-F3 B8-C6
    3.F1-B5 A7-A6

Can you imagine borrowing your opponent's score sheet in the middle of a game and seeing all of the moves in computer notation? 😲
    Lol, thats what Shakhriyar Mamedyarov should have done prior to his tantrum, 'let me see your score sheet sir', 'bbbut this is computer notation! i wonder if anyone actually scores using it?
  8. e4
    Moves
    27 Feb '09 02:04
    It's on ebay.

item: 220369370847

Have added in description postage is free to RHP
  9. e4
    Moves
    28 Feb '09 14:32
    Seems to be generating a lot of interest.

PM me if you are the buyer with the buyer's email and I'll
    drop the postage - just hopes it goes to someone who will read it.
  10. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    28 Feb '09 14:37
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Seems to be generating a lot of interest.

PM me if you are the buyer with the buyer's email and I'll
    drop the postage - just hopes it goes to someone who will read it.
    You are just hoping the RHP-ers will drive up the price insanely and that some non-RHP-er at the end wins the auction so you can book a holiday to the Bahamas. Smart 'n cheap :-)
  11. e4
    Moves
    28 Feb '09 14:48
    Well spotted - 😉

Naw, I really do want it to go a player and not some collector.

Quite happy with any profit - Mrs GP will spend it on Mrs GP's stuff.
  12. Standard memberwargamer66
    Steve B.
    Salt Lake City
    Moves
    01 Mar '09 06:57
    I just cranked it up for you.
  13. Standard memberwargamer66
    Steve B.
    Salt Lake City
    Moves
    05 Mar '09 22:19
    3 hours to go.
  14. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    08 Mar '09 14:23
    Originally posted by wargamer66
    3 hours to go.
    Whowunnit?
  15. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    08 Mar '09 14:36
    Originally posted by heinzkat
    Whowunnit?
    Some ebay bidder by the name of wargamer66. 😲

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree