or 3...Nf6
    that too...
  2. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 23:19
    Originally posted by Dutch Defense
    after 3.c3, black should play 3...d3!
    I once knew a devoted Smith-Morra Gambit player (he eventually made Master) who said that he actually preferred it when Black played moves like 3...d3, because he would get a real good game without having to give up a pawn.

I'm realize I'm a rank amatuer, but I don't see the benefit for Black of moving the c-pawn on his first three moves of the game when White doesn't move the same piece of pawn more than once. Isn't White just up three moves in the position after 4 Bd3?
  3. Standard memberDutch Defense
    Stealer of Souls
    Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 23:43
    Originally posted by gaychessplayer
    I once knew a devoted Smith-Morra Gambit player (he eventually made Master) who said that he actually preferred it when Black played moves like 3...d3, because he would get a real good game without having to give up a pawn.

I'm realize I'm a rank amatuer, but I don't see the benefit for Black of moving the c-pawn on his first three moves of the gam ...[text shortened]... piece of pawn more than once. Isn't White just up three moves in the position after 4 Bd3?
    It temporarly blocks the b1 knight and should give black enough time for development. Ask Korch for more info cause I don't play Sicilian on a regular basis.
  4. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    09 Dec '07 02:491 edit
    Originally posted by English Tal
    2. b4

Being strictly a P-K4 player, I'm currently experimenting (in one game so far....) with the aforementioned gambit. I invariably play the Grand Prix against the Sicilian, but from time to time an unusual move or so makes life more interesting... even if not 100% sound....

Has anyone any true experience or relevant comments on this move? Thanks.
    It's suspect.

If you really want to play offbeat lines in the Sicilian as white (Which I personally wouldn't recommend, because the open is clearly best...) then I think 2.b3 and 2.Na3 are the most viable options.

!~Tony~! plays 2.Na3 pretty often on ICC and generally woops some ass.
  5. Standard memberEnglish Tal
    Phoneless
    Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Dec '07 04:32
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    It's suspect.

If you really want to play offbeat lines in the Sicilian as white (Which I personally wouldn't recommend, because the open is clearly best...) then I think 2.b3 and 2.Na3 are the most viable options.

Interesting, thanks.
  6. Joined
    07 Nov '04
    Moves
    09 Dec '07 12:39
    Originally posted by Dutch Defense
    after 3.c3, black should play 3...d3!
    No he shouldn't. That's easy for white. 3...dxc3! =+ (See previous Morra threads, most recently "Interesting Smith-Morra Gambit" - last post 29 November.)
  7. Joined
    07 Nov '04
    Moves
    09 Dec '07 12:42
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    It's suspect.

I occasionally play 1.e4 c5 2.b3!? Nc6 3.Bb2 e5 4.f4!? when in a suitably manic frame of mind. However, I agree with your main point: open is best!
  8. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    10 Dec '07 00:21
    In blitz I've played a variation that is a mix of the Smith-Morra Gambit and the Grand Prix Attack, called the Halasz Gambit: 1 e4 c5 2 d4 cd 3 f4.

There is also the Halasz variation of the Danish Gambit: 1 e4 e5 2 d4 ed 3 f4.
  9. Joined
    07 Nov '04
    Moves
    10 Dec '07 16:08
    Originally posted by gaychessplayer
    In blitz I've played a variation that is a mix of the Smith-Morra Gambit and the Grand Prix Attack, called the Halasz Gambit: 1 e4 c5 2 d4 cd 3 f4.

There is also the Halasz variation of the Danish Gambit: 1 e4 e5 2 d4 ed 3 f4.
    Might just be worth a try I suppose (though probably not after 1...e5). It resembles a rather offbeat idea in the Morra, namely 1.e4 c5 2.d4 cxd4 3.c3 dxc3 4.Nxc3 Nc6 5.Bc4 and 6.f4!? instead of the usual 5.Nf3. I don't think it's been tried very often (maybe for a good reason!).
  10. 19th hole
    Moves
    11 Dec '07 01:50
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    Game 3155249
    I like that trap, I got to play that in my first (and only) otb game against the wing gambit 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree