1. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 21:53
    I've used this line very often in blitz - never CC and I don't think in slow either, but it does seem interesting for white (Maybe equality is about what white can expect if black knows his stuff very well). I'm becoming more and more content with the Advanced right now, but I do like this 2.Qe2 idea a bit, and for those that also like it here's an article about it (Gary Lane, Chess Cafe, Feb. 7, 2007)

http://www.chesscafe.com/lane/lane.htm
  2. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    16 Feb '07 05:26
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    I've used this line very often in blitz - never CC and I don't think in slow either, but it does seem interesting for white (Maybe equality is about what white can expect if black knows his stuff very well). I'm becoming more and more content with the Advanced right now, but I do like this 2.Qe2 idea a bit, and for those that also like it here's an article about it (Gary Lane, Chess Cafe, Feb. 7, 2007)

Ok, well I just finished a French game (Blitz 3-0 opponent about 140 pts higher than me) that started

1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.e5 c5 4.c3 Nc6 5.Nf3 Qb6 (Last book move for me) 6.Be2 (I played the right move here anyway) 6...cxd4 7.Nxd4?! Nxe5 8.O-O Ne7 - which incidentally is approximately equal, though clearly Nf6 gives black a slight edge. First off - does any know anything about the move 7.Nxd4?! - I ran a DB search on it and the results are well...we just won't talk about those. However, there seems to be some interesting ideas possible, although maybe not as promising as I'm hoping. BTW, black gained a huge advantage in that game by way of some tricks with his knight on e5. I managed to get him into time trouble, and he dropped queen for knight - I won on time in an even position, so this game's not a great example.

This (unintentional - wasn't seeing the weak pawn on e5) gambit caused me to look up some stuff - primarily the Milner-Barry Gambit. I had to dig up an old thread on here because I didn't know the move order, but what I've found is making me very, very happy. So basically, after the gambit...

1. e4 e6 2. d4 d5 3. e5 c5 4. c3 Nc6 5. Nf3 Qb6 6.Bd3 cxd4 7. cxd4 Bd7 8. Nc3 Nxd4 9. Nxd4 Qxd4 10. O-O Qxe5 11. Re1

I found that black's best response is supposedly Qb8 (Qd6 met with either Nb5 which to me looks like a draw, or Qf3 and Bf4) so then...

Qb8 12. Nxd5 Bd6 13. Qg4 Kf8 14. Bd2 (Yeah, I loved seeing that...how awesome, and I also loved the eval. I was seeing as this line progresses)

f5 15. Qg5 This is where things seem to get really whacky....but awesome for white: pure insanity trading a piece for dominance.

exd5 16. Bc3 (Threatening mate on g7) Nf6 17. Bxf6 gxf6 18. Qxf6+ Kg8 19.Qg5+ Kf7 Ok, sure, black's up a bishop there - but does white really care? Hell, I wouldn't - white's got an awesome position!

20. Bxf5 Qd8 21. Qh5+ Kf6 22. Bxh7 Rxh7 23. Qxh7 with material back +p

Black to move:

I went through other variations for black - all of which ended with black getting mauled. Is there anything I missed? French experts - help me out - does black have any better tries throughout the entire 23 move line? Are there any variations that aren't well known that I should worry about? And most importantly, if this is really black's best line (Clearly, it might not be...this is me and Fritz playing through some stuff for 25 minutes) then why isn't it more popular?
  3. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    16 Feb '07 06:00
    I know that this line is supposed to suck, and I am sure any French players with Watson's book can give it to you. I am reasonably certain that Black doesn't have to take on e5.
  4. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    16 Feb '07 06:34
    Originally posted by !~TONY~!
    I know that this line is supposed to suck, and I am sure any French players with Watson's book can give it to you. I am reasonably certain that Black doesn't have to take on e5.
    I speak French but I am not a French Player.
  5. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    16 Feb '07 20:37
    Originally posted by !~TONY~!
    It seems to, any ideas about the Milner-Barry though?
  6. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    16 Feb '07 20:53
    I think those French players are keeping secrets from me about the Milner-Barry. 😉
  7. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    16 Feb '07 21:00
    If you want opening secrets for whipping the French Defense, then you'll need to join Clan 24492.
  8. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    16 Feb '07 21:01
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    If you want opening secrets for whipping the French Defense, then you'll need to join Clan 24492.
    Well, I'm full on clans and don't play the French - but I may have to drop one and check out your secret forums. 🙂
  9. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    17 Feb '07 22:07
    I enjoy playing the Milner-Barry Gambit. White gets an early initiative and it's a "low-maintainence" opening (i.e. there aren't hundreds of games played by GM's that make the theory change every two weeks.)
    You can pretty much learn how to play it once and you're good to go for about a decade or so.
  10. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    17 Feb '07 22:081 edit
    Originally posted by gaychessplayer
    I enjoy playing the Milner-Barry Gambit. White gets an early initiative and it's a "low-maintainence" opening (i.e. there aren't hundreds of games played by GM's that make the theory change every two weeks.)
    You can pretty much learn how to play it once and you're good to go for about a decade or so.
    Cool.
  11. Joined
    23 Jan '07
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 05:25
    it's kida obvious...qh8
  12. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 05:27
    Originally posted by Ason Pigg2
    it's kida obvious...qh8
    I wasn't asking for black's move...
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 05:30

avoid French by Exchange Variation... it throws most of them WAY off their usual game...
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 05:31
    hey cmsmaster, is that Spassky or Fischer as your avatar?
  15. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 05:32
    Originally posted by rubberjaw30
    hey cmsmaster, is that Spassky or Fischer as your avatar?
    Tal

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree