1. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    26 Mar '08 23:016 edits
    Here is my latest game, with some very nice combination at the end. It is a KG accepted game which gone in very strange direction out of book after my opponent played 5...Qf6 which had a threat in it altough it was out of book.

Anyway, the game went further and after 17. Qc2 I suddenly felt in danger and didn't know what to play. After 15 minutes of starring in position I noticed that I can create ultimate battery formation by trippling on the f file and on the next move I can sacrifice a rook to remove the f7 defender to deliver a powerfull mating blast.

My opponent fell for that and I won. But my question : unlike in tactical puzzles book when continuations are forced and your opponent often can't do nothing to save himself after you play the right sequence of moves, in the real games much more often combination opportunities can arise but they are not that forced, in this case after my rook sac (18. Rxe5) mate is still far from forced. So while not necesarilly having Zwischenzug your opponent can parry your threat. Should you go for it (like in this case) anyway, or follow the mantra "Always suspect your opponent to make his best move".

More specifically, was 18. Rxe5 a good move ?

Thanks ! Game 4781800

EDIT : As far as I see, he absolutely can not capture right away with bishop so it should be at least a won piece...
  2. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    26 Mar '08 23:15
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    Here is my latest game, with some very nice combination at the end. It is a KG accepted game which gone in very strange direction out of book after my opponent played 5...Qf6 which had a threat in it altough it was out of book.

Anyway, the game went further and after 17. Qc2 I suddenly felt in danger and didn't know what to play. After 15 minutes of star ...[text shortened]... he absolutely can not capture right away with bishop so it should be at least a won piece...
    If he took the rook you could force mate in two moves. I think your move was indeed better than 19. Rxf7
  3. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    27 Mar '08 00:01

Anyway, the game went further and after 17. Qc2 I suddenly felt in danger and didn't know what to play. After 15 minutes of star ...[text shortened]... he absolutely can not capture right away with bishop so it should be at least a won piece...
    But I wonder how he should've react move before, when I tripled on the f file..., strating to munch my pawns was clearly a bad idea...
  4. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    27 Mar '08 00:501 edit
    But I wonder how he should've react move before, when I tripled on the f file..., strating to munch my pawns was clearly a bad idea...
    Ng4 is a pretty obvious move actually, but I like Ncb6 even better.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree