1. Behind the computer.
    Moves
    13 Jan '10 00:46
    Recently for the past couple months-ish I've been reading these chess forums. Obviously, many of them are funny and amusing to read, but I'm wondering, does reading opinions about chess from others around the same level as me or above, improve my play? Or am I just providing myself chess amusement? Please post your thoughts!

Rb
  2. Standard memberatticus2
    Frustrate the Bad
    Liverpool
    Moves
    13 Jan '10 00:53
    Most people post when drunk.

Work it out 😛
  3. Kalispell, MT
    Moves
    13 Jan '10 01:03
    Originally posted by range blasts
    Recently for the past couple months-ish I've been reading these chess forums. Obviously, many of them are funny and amusing to read, but I'm wondering, does reading opinions about chess from others around the same level as me or above, improve my play? Or am I just providing myself chess amusement? Please post your thoughts!

Rb
    Depends on who your favorite authors are. WW and GP34 might help. Heinzkat might
    hurt. I will complicate, and Fat Lady only complains.

So, probably not alot of growth to be found on the forums unless your very selective.
    There is good advice on study habits, but really nothing, in any forum, will replace
    self-study.

-GIN
  4. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    13 Jan '10 01:06

Rb
    Possibly, if you're amused then yes, purple.
  5. e4
    Moves
    13 Jan '10 02:38
    Good Question. An Excellent Question.

Cheat!

You must be using a computer that generates Good Questions (a joke...a joke).

A lot of the threads are about openings which weaker players feel is must
    have knoweldge. Yes when your average opponents are IM's or GM's.
    v under 1600 players just get the pieces out and castle.

I cannot say I have seen anything that I know I can use.

David Tebb posted a game once. That was good.

No doubt something from the others has stuck and will pop inot my head during a game.

But I am a very old dog stuck in my ways, What I don't know about chess
    I refuse to know and what I do know is far to little.

I fear the only people who really do learn anything from this forum
    are the box users. They get all kinds of hints, given unintentionally,
    on how to avoid being caught.

Here I'll recap just for them.

1. Don't write a profile.
    2. Never post in the chess forum.
    3. And, apparently, Don't fly a Romanian/Brazilian flag.
  6. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    13 Jan '10 04:37

Rb
    reading is not training. that's about the core of it all. the rest is mostly entertainment.
  7. Behind the computer.
    Moves
    13 Jan '10 04:53
    I understand that reading and playing chess are not substitutable, but now and then, I catch interesting tidbits of tactics and such. I'm not quite sure if these things actually affect my game, for better or worse. I'm interested, can things from these forums be easily incorporated as an idea into your games? Or do they normally just stay as interesting tidbits?
  8. Kalispell, MT
    Moves
    13 Jan '10 05:081 edit
    I understand that reading and playing chess are not substitutable, but now and then, I catch interesting tidbits of tactics and such. I'm not quite sure if these things actually affect my game, for better or worse. I'm interested, can things from these forums be easily incorporated as an idea into your games? Or do they normally just stay as interesting tidbits?
    If your looking for the interesting tid bits to make any kind of valuable return; I'd stick
    to the RHP Blitz thread... there is certainly alot there to consume.

There is another thread for miniatures as well... Thats worth following.

All examples, analysis, and posted games aside... this place is probably a good place to
    stay away from if your having troubles developing core ideas OTB.

-GIN
  9. Standard memberorion25
    Art is hard
    Moves
    13 Jan '10 13:56
    I've picked quite a lot of good ideas on this forum (mostly advice on how to train) but also some other interesting stuff, for example robbie gave me some good advice on how to beat the English, blockade that bishop (i'll leave you this game, though it is horrible and against weak oposition, but I use the ideas he gave me so...):

10. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    13 Jan '10 15:36
    if you train those tidbits, take a board and start shuffling pieces doing it, then yes. if you just read/look at the tidbits, then it's a no.

even the simplest thing must be turned into a motor skill to get it internalized. before that you're at best using conscious processing, which is just too shaky and thousands of times too slow. it needs to be internalized, turned into an unconscious process/reflex for it to be of any use.
  11. cheaters desk
    Moves
    13 Jan '10 15:38

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

12. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    13 Jan '10 15:39
    You lose one rating point for every post of Fat Lady's you read, FACT
  13. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    13 Jan '10 16:54
    I am now motivated to post something for greenpawns edification...

nothing comes to mind.. bleh.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Jan '10 17:342 edits
    Maybe reading the forums won't give you the tactical ability itself, but lots of the time they're useful for pointing you in the right direction on how to study tactics, or where to study etc. Same goes for any aspect of the game.
  15. e4
    Moves
    13 Jan '10 17:42
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    I am now motivated to post something for greenpawns edification...

nothing comes to mind.. bleh.
    It's better to have checked and lost, then never to have checked at all.

Post that.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree