French Nightmare

French Nightmare

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1...c5!

Your Kingside

Moves
08 May 07

Originally posted by Fat Lady
exigentsky - if you enjoy studying openings and have time for it then I think you are better off looking at the more "unsound" ones with tricks and pitfalls for your opponents to fall into. The sicilian is an excellent choice, but maybe one of the variations which GMs tend to avoid. I love some of the variations with an early e5 for Black - I know from expe ...[text shortened]... ork perfectly well for them and all your analysis and studying will count for very little.
Exactly. Even if you are playing a complete stiff, he will at least be equal because the French Burn is so unambitious. These rich ideas you speak of like the b6 and Bb7 plans are nearly forced, since that bishop sucks so bad. I would rip on you less if you play gxf6, but all this other stuff in the French Burn is embarassing, and probably the antithesis of rich. Play a real opening like the KID or a complicated Sicilian Complex for a long, and then try going back the French Burn. It will be impossible.

e

Moves
08 May 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Fat Lady
exigentsky - if you enjoy studying openings and have time for it then I think you are better off looking at the more "unsound" ones with tricks and pitfalls for your opponents to fall into. The sicilian is an excellent choice, but maybe one of the variations which GMs tend to avoid. I love some of the variations with an early e5 for Black - I know from expe ork perfectly well for them and all your analysis and studying will count for very little.
I was actually considering the early e5 Sicilian line. For example: 1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 e5! This is rarely played but I think it's fine, no worse than the classical. Only problem is that like in the Accelerated Dragon, White can establish a positional bind.

Also, here's the Maroczy bind in the Accelerated Dragon up to move 10 in the b6 variation. This is how it looks:

White to move

Again, I don't want to completely scare people from a fine opening. If the above position is to your taste and you can accept the cramp, you have no problems

You are also spot on about the French. It actually bothered me a bit that even when my opponent went a little wrong, I could only equalize. In the Sicilian, I could often get a visible edge.

e

Moves
08 May 07

Originally posted by !~TONY~!
Exactly. Even if you are playing a complete stiff, he will at least be equal because the French Burn is so unambitious. These rich ideas you speak of like the b6 and Bb7 plans are nearly forced, since that bishop sucks so bad. I would rip on you less if you play gxf6, but all this other stuff in the French Burn is embarassing, and probably the antithesis of ...[text shortened]... ted Sicilian Complex for a long, and then try going back the French Burn. It will be impossible.
It's no Sicilian, but you give it too little credit. There is still a little room for creativity. And while it's not rich compared to the Najdorf, it's rich compared to similarly stale looking positions. (btw I just don't completely trust gxf6 in the a6 and c4 for White variation) In any case, just because it isn't sharp and super complicated doesn't mean it's not a real and respectable opening.

Even if the Burn doesn't suit me. It's nice to have variety and know more than one opening in which you have confidence.

BTW: I wouldn't play the KID because of the 9. b4 variation. The Nimzo/Queen's Indian suits me fine.

1...c5!

Your Kingside

Moves
08 May 07

Originally posted by exigentsky
BTW: I wouldn't play the KID because of the 9. b4 variation. The Nimzo/Queen's Indian suits me fine.
That's because you are a pansy. 😀 You should play the London or Torre as White.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
08 May 07

Originally posted by exigentsky
I was actually considering the early e5 Sicilian line. For example: 1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 e5! This is rarely played ....
1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 e5! is popular line. Also in top GM level. For example Leko plays it as black.

e

Moves
08 May 07
1 edit

Yes, I recall seeing Kramnik and Kasparov play it too. It's certainly interesting and looks solid enough. I will look into it more. Then, I would have one more Sicilian to choose from. 🙂