1. Joined
    30 Jun '08
    Moves
    20 Jul '13 02:55
    A quick game. Only 33 moves. I come up with a bad idea. My opponent
    comes up with a worse idea. Added some light notes. In the end, my unsound
    play is rewarded by my opponent's mistakes. All in good fun.

I'm white

2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    20 Jul '13 06:522 edits
    Originally posted by KneeCaps

I'm white

[pgn]1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. Bb5+ {Anything other than 2...d6 and I play an open sicilian with 3.d4} Nd7 4. O-O Ngf6 5. Re1 a6 6. Bf1 {Firs nd the non-forcing move in a combo} Kf8 31. Qxe7+ Kg7 32. Qxf7+ Kh6 33. Qxh5# [/pgn]
    I like 12...Nxe4 for black, stealing a key center pawn and removing the f5 outpost.

But if that is too risky for some reason, black could play simply ...Nf8 and chop the N if it goes to f5.
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    20 Jul '13 19:18
    Originally posted by KneeCaps

I'm white

[pgn]1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. Bb5+ {Anything other than 2...d6 and I play an open sicilian with 3.d4} Nd7 4. O-O Ngf6 5. Re1 a6 6. Bf1 {Firs ...[text shortened]... nd the non-forcing move in a combo} Kf8 31. Qxe7+ Kg7 32. Qxf7+ Kh6 33. Qxh5# [/pgn]
    Your comment: Didn't spend too much time time thinking about this. Just gambling that a strong knight on f5 and a king stuck in the center is worth my bishop.

These trade-offs of "position verses material" are very difficult for me to judge. Your gamble paid off this time, but have you put enough thought into it now to see if you could find a better way?

The Instructor
  4. SubscriberRooksandHooks
    rookorbycrook
    Solihull
    Moves
    20 Jul '13 20:05
    maybe instead of
    taking the bishop back to f1 maybe c4 seems pointless you playing a pin just to bring it all back in at least its still hounding the f7 square 🙂
  5. SubscriberRooksandHooks
    rookorbycrook
    Solihull
    Moves
    20 Jul '13 20:05
    move 6
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    20 Jul '13 21:10
    Originally posted by rookorbycrook
    maybe instead of
    taking the bishop back to f1 maybe c4 seems pointless you playing a pin just to bring it all back in at least its still hounding the f7 square 🙂
    If 6.Bc4 then 6...b5 drives the Bishop back to f1 anyway with a gain of tempo. If instead 7.Bd5 Nxd5 looks good for Black to me. The only good alternative for White was 6.Bxd7+.

The Instructor
  7. Joined
    30 Jun '08
    Moves
    21 Jul '13 00:39
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    I like 12...Nxe4 for black, stealing a key center pawn and removing the f5 outpost.

But if that is too risky for some reason, black could play simply ...Nf8 and chop the N if it goes to f5.
    I was dreading 12,,,Nxe4. It wasn't until after I played Nxh4 that I saw the
    possibility of that move though. Too late by then. Just crossed my fingers
    and hoped black wouldn't think of it.
  8. Joined
    30 Jun '08
    Moves
    21 Jul '13 00:44
    Originally posted by rookorbycrook
    maybe instead of
    I agree. It seems weird but it is theory. I've had chances to play that move
    in other games but never did. Since this was a meaningless fun game, I
    decided to give it a try.
  9. Joined
    30 Jun '08
    Moves
    21 Jul '13 00:52
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Your comment: [b]Didn't spend too much time time thinking about this. Just gambling that a strong knight on f5 and a king stuck in the center is worth my bishop.

These trade-offs of "position verses material" are very difficult for me to judge. Your gamble paid off this time, but have you put enough thought into it now to see if you could find a better way?

The Instructor[/b]
    Letting my bishop go was a bad move. It was nothing I would have played
    in a serious game. This was for fun. Sac a piece, create some chances and
    see if black can defend correctly. Black faltered so I won this one.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree