1. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    05 Jul '10 17:44
    I've started storing my games into a database in Fritz 12 and i want to be able to classify them by opening. There are header tabs in the open database with games, openings, themes strategy and tactics written on them. Anybody know how to make use of them. I can't find anything in the manual.
  2. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    05 Jul '10 18:42
    Originally posted by Talisman
    I've started storing my games into a database in Fritz 12 and i want to be able to classify them by opening. There are header tabs in the open database with games, openings, themes strategy and tactics written on them. Anybody know how to make use of them. I can't find anything in the manual.
    I haven't watched any of these (I don't have F12), but try this link. There's a video tutorial on "classify openings", which may help.

http://www.chessbase.com/download/index.asp
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    05 Jul '10 18:531 edit
    This is what I do:

When a game is over, I copy the PGN file to the bottom in a Word document. I number it from 1 and upwards. I give keywords so i easly can find interesting games again, like pawn storm, bishops endgame, and such. Moreover I include positions so I can with a glance can remember highlights of the game. Every game of interest I annotate where needed.

At a special section I copy the furst few unique moves and sort them manually (meaning, include it on the right spot), and title them according to their opening.

This works very well for me. IF I want to look at it again, from first to last move, I copy the gameId into RHP and enjoy again, or copy the PGN into a favorite PGN viewer.

This gives me full control over my 'database'. I don't have to rely that a new verion of Fritz (or whatever) retain the databasefunction, I don't have to fear that the organization or importation fails.

It works well for me and brings me joy.
  4. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    05 Jul '10 19:07
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    I haven't watched any of these (I don't have F12), but try this link. There's a video tutorial on "classify openings", which may help.

http://www.chessbase.com/download/index.asp
    Thanks but the Classify opening merely enables you to click a tab which gives you the name of an opening. I actuallly wanted to make use of the opening classification within a certain database. Ideally i'd like all my games grouped according to ECO code or at least be able to search by ECO code. I think think this may involve installing a key but i've no idea how to do it.
  5. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    05 Jul '10 19:13
    Thanks but the Classify opening merely enables you to click a tab which gives you the name of an opening. I actuallly wanted to make use of the opening classification within a certain database. Ideally i'd like all my games grouped according to ECO code or at least be able to search by ECO code. I think think this may involve installing a key but i've no idea how to do it.
    This may not work, but did you try double-clicking on the ECO column tab?
  6. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    06 Jul '10 14:00
    Like I said before, I don't have F12. But I do have F8, and the database functions seem to be set up more or less the same as F12. So I played around with the database opening classification system... and got completely confused and lost. I was totally unsuccessful at doing something as simple as ordering the games by ECO classification. If it can be done, I guess only the programmers know how to do it. 😕

That's my biggest gripe about Fritz (at least version 8) - Completely non-intuitive menu system, skimpy and often unhelpful Help system and hardcopy instruction manual. (If the controls were intuitive, I could just "wing it" and not have to bother trying to wade into the Help system.) And that's the main reason why I didn't buy F9, F10, F11, etc.

Good luck with your quest, but I have no desire to keep banging my head against a wall.
  7. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    06 Jul '10 20:38
    Like I said before, I don't have F12. But I do have F8, and the database functions seem to be set up more or less the same as F12. So I played around with the database opening classification system... and got completely confused and lost. I was totally unsuccessful at doing something as simple as ordering the games by ECO classification. If it can be done, ...[text shortened]...

Good luck with your quest, but I have no desire to keep banging my head against a wall.
    Well thanks for your time. I have to agree with you. the functions are not particularly intuitive and for now i'll just store my games in PGN format and title them by opening.
  8. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    08 Jul '10 01:432 edits
    Sorry I took so long to reply- I have Fritz 12, but I don't use it very much as I mostly use chessbase.

If you create a database, click on the "openings" tab, and then click on "Install Big Key". It will break the games down automatically for you in ECO format.

Chessbase also lets you do it in the games list, but Fritz 12 doesn't, as best I can tell.

I would recommend downloading chessbase lite for free, as it is compatible with Fritz, and will give you the additional database flexibility.
    Paul
  9. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    08 Jul '10 02:08
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    Sorry I took so long to reply- I have Fritz 12, but I don't use it very much as I mostly use chessbase.

If you create a database, click on the "openings" tab, and then click on "Install Big Key". It will break the games down automatically for you in ECO format.

Chessbase also lets you do it in the games list, but Fritz 12 doesn't, as best I can t ...[text shortened]... it is compatible with Fritz, and will give you the additional database flexibility.
    Paul
    Yeah, I was able to install keys, but I just trying to sort the games list by ECO, which, like you said, Fritz apparently doesn't do.

But I'm not sure the free Chessbase Light is the answer for the OP. It's crippled in various ways that may not appeal to him. (See link below for details). I'm not sure if the free Scid would do what he wants, but it might be worth a try.

http://freechess.50webs.com/chessbaselight.html

http://freechess.50webs.com/scid.html
  10. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    08 Jul '10 02:12
    Yeah, I was able to install keys, but I just trying to sort the games list by ECO, which, like you said, Fritz apparently doesn't do.

But I'm not sure the free Chessbase Light is the answer for the OP. It's crippled in various ways that may not appeal to him. (See link below for details). I'm not sure if the free Scid would do what he wants, but it might ...[text shortened]...

http://freechess.50webs.com/chessbaselight.html

http://freechess.50webs.com/scid.html
    Fritz 12 does it, but you have to go into the key for that database, and then use it to "work down the tree". I tried it on a Sicilian Dragon database that I have, and it broke the database down into B70, B71, B72 etc.

If you want to break a database down by individual codes like that, it works.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree