1. California
    Moves
    30 Sep '07 03:32
    Pardon my ignorance on this subject. I hear from going over some threads that some folks use Fritz to analyze games and so I figured fritz is a type of engine. If so, what would prevent someone from using it to figure out his next move on an ongoing game? None right? Isn't that considered cheating?
  2. Joined
    05 Aug '07
    Moves
    30 Sep '07 03:39
    yes
  3. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    30 Sep '07 03:55
    Originally posted by blackjack21
    Pardon my ignorance on this subject. I hear from going over some threads that some folks use Fritz to analyze games and so I figured fritz is a type of engine. If so, what would prevent someone from using it to figure out his next move on an ongoing game? None right? Isn't that considered cheating?
    Why would ANYONE let a chess engine decide their next move? That's preposterous! There is nothing to gain by letting an engine play your moves. It's boring, and proves nothing.

P-
  4. Joined
    04 Jul '07
    Moves
    30 Sep '07 04:28
    In the short term there may be nothing to stop you, but in the long term you'll probably be caught if there is a very high correlation between your moves and the ones a particular engine would pick.
  5. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    30 Sep '07 04:29
    Originally posted by blackjack21
    How do you reckon the likes of Mary Ann and those banned for 3(b) end on the list of removed players? On playchess you can see in red xyz had his rating deleted for computer assistance - how do you reckon this is so?

This topic has been discussed before search the archives.
  6. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    30 Sep '07 04:29
    Well, it does prove something.
  7. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    30 Sep '07 05:00
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    Well, it does prove something.
    You should use the quote feature to prevent confusion as to which post you are replying.
  8. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    30 Sep '07 06:09
    Actually, I drove the Boston Marathon in my car in only 37 minutes. All those runners are really slow.
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    30 Sep '07 08:36
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Why would ANYONE let a chess engine decide their next move? That's preposterous! There is nothing to gain by letting an engine play your moves. It's boring, and proves nothing.

P-
    In your opinion there is nothing to gain.
    In those opinion who do it, they think they have.
    Ask them and they will tell you their reason. Until then you don't know.
  10. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    30 Sep '07 10:34
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    If you want to start a merry-go-round debates style discussion move to the debates forum. The subject has been beaten to death and all that should have been done is to refer to old posts.
  11. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    30 Sep '07 14:18
    Yes Fabfan... Every time I've talked with a removed Engine user they always say, "I had a lot to gain by cheating."

No, wait... they always denied it.

Please also turn on your sarcasm detector.

P-
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    30 Sep '07 14:23
    Originally posted by z00t
    If you want to start a merry-go-round debates style discussion move to the debates forum.
    What kind of remark is this...?
    What about the friendly attitude we should have here...?
  13. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    30 Sep '07 14:26
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Yes Fabfan... Every time I've talked with a removed Engine user they always say, "I had a lot to gain by cheating."

No, wait... they always denied it.

Please also turn on your sarcasm detector.

P-
    Of course they deny it.
    But, think, if they thought it has no meaning, they wouldn't. But they do, therefore they have a reason to use engines.

They only ones thinking they have a reasons to cheat, cheat. Others, don't.
  14. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    30 Sep '07 14:29
    Of course they deny it.
    But, think, if they thought it has no meaning, they wouldn't. But they do, therefore they have a reason to use engines.

They only ones thinking they have a reasons to cheat, cheat. Others, don't.
    Just so you know, my first post was total sarcasm... otherwise, I wouldn't be a game mod.

They do feel they have something to gain, I just wish they didn't.

I've said this before, "I have a lot more respect for a 900 player who plays on and on and doesn't really care that they lose most of their games. They love it! The cheats who would probably be rated in my range and even higher who want to be rated over 2K are the ones who ruin the fun for most of us."

P-
  15. Joined
    07 Sep '03
    Moves
    30 Sep '07 14:29
    first of all i hate cheaters. they ruin the game for everyone.

i would like to point out some reasons they might be doing so:
    some people might be interested in how chess engines work and want to test them against real people. they might wanna see how the ratings compare to others. some might be testing the engines to see how good they fair against people as compared to other computers.
    some might be doing it for fun, some to ruin others fun, etc.
    i can think of these and maybe other reasons but im writing quickly.

with all that said i would like to say that cheating in terms to gain something, to have fun, to test something just for oneself while ruining others experience and trust is one thing that is wrong with them.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree