Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 08 Oct '06 09:31
    Well, the excitement is mounting towards to end... I can't wait!... Can anyone tell me when it the game going to start?... I'm terrible with world time zones.... just tell me how many hours from now?
  2. Standard member wormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    08 Oct '06 09:32
    Originally posted by ckoh1965
    Well, the excitement is mounting towards to end... I can't wait!... Can anyone tell me when it the game going to start?... I'm terrible with world time zones.... just tell me how many hours from now?
    1½ hours from now.
  3. 08 Oct '06 09:36
    Originally posted by wormwood
    1½ hours from now.
    OK... thx!
  4. 08 Oct '06 11:03
    Yet another d4 opening... in the long run all these games are going to look more or less the same...
  5. 08 Oct '06 11:31
    If anything at all, Topalov is certainly a much faster player between the two. Kramnik is lagging behind again. The position is still far from clear though. But black is apparently quickly expanding on the queenside.
  6. Standard member flexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    08 Oct '06 11:40
    If anything at all, Topalov is certainly a much faster player between the two. Kramnik is lagging behind again. The position is still far from clear though. But black is apparently quickly expanding on the queenside.
    i played faster than tebb, or at least almost as fast as him - can i ask for a reversal of his wins against me?
  7. 08 Oct '06 11:41
    Very interesting... finally at move 14, Topalov has stopped playing blitz. Interesting to see Kramnik ending up with an isolated pawn in the middle. Might end up being a liability he has to defend for the rest of the game?
  8. 08 Oct '06 11:43
    I can't understand how Kramnik manage to got a bad pawn structure in the opening.
    12. c5 seems to be better IMHO.
  9. 08 Oct '06 11:47
    Originally posted by flexmore
    i played faster than tebb, or at least almost as fast as him - can i ask for a reversal of his wins against me?
    I'm just saying that Topalov is faster; not necessarily winning. And I noted that he's constantly been fast also in this championship. I wonder if it's because of air-tight opening preparation, or out of style of play, or for purpose of intimidation, or he's simply better at the game...
  10. 08 Oct '06 11:56
    Interesting move, 15. Qe2. Knight probably getting ready to jump to e5. d5 looks like a pretty outpost for black huh? If a knight can get there and then supported with other pieces would be nice...
  11. 08 Oct '06 12:04
    [Event "WCC Game 10"]
    [Date "2006.10.08"]
    [Round "10"]
    [White "Kramnik"]
    [Black "Topalov "]
    [Result "*"]
    [ECO "E08"]
    [EventDate "2006.09.23"]

1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 e6 3. Nf3 d5 4. g3 Bb4+ 5. Bd2 Be7 6. Bg2 O-O 7. O-O c6 8. Bf4 Nbd7 9. Qc2 a5 10. Rd1 Nh5 11. Bc1 b5 12. cxd5 cxd5 13. e4 dxe4 14. Qxe4 Rb8 15. Qe2 Nhf6

12.cxd5 seems to be a new move. 12.c5 was previously played in a game on my database.

I think that White has a nice advantage. Black's pawn pushes on the queenside have created weaknesses that Kramnik might be able to exploit. White's bishops are very dangerous in this type of position.
  12. 08 Oct '06 12:07
    Originally posted by 7ate9
    I don't know if it's that good cause the g2 bishop, and the defending pawn gets separated from the pack?
    Yes, that's what I mean. You occupy d5 with a piece. Then support it with other pieces. No white pawns can attack d5, therefore the g2 bishop's range would be shortened. If white decides to trade away his g2 bishop, then he'll have light square weakness around his king.
  13. Standard member Icky Ike
    Pro-Complainer
    08 Oct '06 12:35
    Is Topalov in trouble here at move 19? He must have seen this coming...
  14. 08 Oct '06 12:47
    Interesting game to be sure, though it would end in draw most likely.
  15. 08 Oct '06 12:48
    Yes, that's what I mean. You occupy d5 with a piece. Then support it with other pieces. No white pawns can attack d5, therefore the g2 bishop's range would be shortened. If white decides to trade away his g2 bishop, then he'll have light square weakness around his king.
    The light square weakness doesn't seem such a big deal, because Topalov positioned his light-squared bishop to trade it for Nb5. It doesn't seem like he's going to attack with it or something.