Game id 7651667

Game id 7651667

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
17 Aug 10

Ok, airborn143rd and I would like some minor analysis if you could. Sure this game is woodpushing at it's best, but we were wondering how BAD it really was. Who missed what when.

For example I thought moving my King to b8 for my 23rd move would get me mated. Only after moving I realized I'd be perfectly safe (I think) moving the King to a8. This is where I feel it all fell apart for me.

Airborn wants to talk about his opening, he was down a couple pawns rather quick. Also he feels he could have mated me quicker at the end.

Also, after my blunder (I think) move 23 did I have any chance to survive? I really feel that was the turning point.

Game 7651667

Pale Blue Dot

Moves
17 Aug 10
1 edit

15... Rd1?

You should have finished developing your pieces with 15... e6. After that you're effectively two pieces down with your dark-squared bishop and rook stuck at home.

W

Moves
17 Aug 10

OK, well it's an odd choice of defence by black.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symmetrical_Defense

As the link says 3. cxd5 is the most common move by white and is pretty strong, e3 isn't terrible mind.

8. Qc2 was rather careless, losing the second pawn. Nc3 would have been much better as it protects the queen giving the threat of dxc6 and also attacks his knight forcing him to exchange knights. Black is still forced to retreat his remaining knight leaving him almost completely undeveloped which is compensation for the first pawn.

Skipping to the end 23...Kd8 was fine, it was 24...Kc7 that sealed your fate. That pesky rook could have been blocked by 24... Nd5 keeping your king safe and your 2 pawn advantage intact.

On move 27. Nd5 was overlooked a second time and this time Kc7 really was fatal.

While 25. Nc4+ was a winning move it is always a shame not to use a discovered check to charge straight into the middle of the enemy camp with total impunity.

H

Moves
17 Aug 10
1 edit

You lost because you only had half the number of pieces at the end.

A number of moves such as rd1 and the knight retreat to f6 were wasted to the extent that you should have developed your kings bishop and rook.

At the end rather than kc7, Nd7 might have been better but by then....

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
17 Aug 10

Thanks so far guys! I'll absorb and think.

P-

a

Moves
17 Aug 10

Originally posted by Willzzz
OK, well it's an odd choice of defence by black.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symmetrical_Defense

As the link says 3. cxd5 is the most common move by white and is pretty strong, e3 isn't terrible mind.

8. Qc2 was rather careless, losing the second pawn. Nc3 would have been much better as it protects the queen giving the threat of dxc6 and also attac ...[text shortened]... e a discovered check to charge straight into the middle of the enemy camp with total impunity.
definitely agree 8. Qc2 was horrible :/

e4

Moves
17 Aug 10

Honestly guys you will get good feedback and ideas if you post the
game drop in diagrams with your analysis.
It makes more enjoyable for everyone.

I might add my 2p worth later but as it's Edinburgh Festival me and
Mrs Greenpawn are going out at midnight to catch some comedy.

Cheers

e4

Moves
17 Aug 10
4 edits

Just spun through it - Rd1 chopping your best active piece sowed the seeds.

Maybe f6 planning e5 instead. F7 is always a target when one has 0-0-0.
Anything is better than eventually having to retreat the Bishop back to e8.

I wonder what the h8 Rook - who never moved, thought about that.

f6-e5 keeps the f3 Knight under wraps - pritority then to get your
KB inot the game. Pawns on f6 and e5 will cripple it.

Opening battle intereresting good to see players going toe to toe.

Getting nagged - going out.

NMD

Moves
18 Aug 10

In this position.

I speculate that white was thinking something like ...hmm if I take his night I will lose my rook after black trades queens and checks me on f2.

Another way to think about this position is to think ...hmm if i take his night I won`t lose my rook I`ll only lose an exchange since his night will be trapped on h1.

This would make me think that perhaps taking the knight would be good since I get 2 knights for a rook.
For example

🙂

oops I haven`t mastered the pgn from a fen position.

W

Moves
18 Aug 10

I'm not sure, it's always worth considering if trapping the knight is viable, certainly
I've used that tactic before but in a completely different situation. Initially at least
it will be the king guarding the knight, how long is he realistically going to be able
to sit unprotected in the middle of the board?

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
18 Aug 10
1 edit

Originally posted by greenpawn34
Honestly guys you will get good feedback and ideas if you post the
game drop in diagrams with your analysis.
It makes more enjoyable for everyone.

I might add my 2p worth later but as it's Edinburgh Festival me and
Mrs Greenpawn are going out at midnight to catch some comedy.

Cheers

[pgn]
[Event "Challenge"]
[Site "http://www.redhotpawn.c 7 25. Ne5c4 Bf8d6 26. Bf4xd6 Kc7d8
27. Bd6xc5 Kd8c7 28. Bc5b6[/pgn]
Right GP34... Surprisingly for as long I've been here this is the first time I've wanted to talk about a game of mine. Now I know how to post the PGN.

As for analysis, I did best I could. "I think this move was bad"!

I couldn't annotate the broad side of a barn!

Checking out your thoughts, thanks for contributing.

Also... though I have not contributed I do check your blog. Good stuff!

P-

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
18 Aug 10

Originally posted by Phlabibit
Thanks so far guys! I'll absorb and think.

P-
I guess that depends on just what you absorb🙂

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
18 Aug 10
1 edit

Originally posted by sonhouse
I guess that depends on just what you absorb🙂
One thing that is making me think is my rush to reduce when I have a lead. 15. ...Rd1 was probably not as good as unlocking my Bishop with a pawn move.

I'm still in ponder-mode, this is an aspect of chess I've never really done. I'm an old-dog too. 😉