Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 11 May '10 19:32
    Post your thoughts on the World championship match here!

    Anand ended up winning 6.5 - 5.5 after Topalov made a horrible blunder in an otherwise exciting position.

    My thoughts : I thought Anand was going to be rusty since he seemed pretty inactive these past few months. Considering this and the fact that the match was on Topalov's soil, I thought the Bulgarian was going to take the match, but boy was I wrong! Anand is CLEARLY the better player. Topa might have more fight in him, but in the end, the better chess player won, no doubt. I also found that a rather impressive amount of mistakes were made during this match. I actually think this is good for chess, it really shows how it isn't dead yet, and that the psychological aspect is huge in a WC match. I wonder how a skilled Carlsen would fare vs an experienced Anand in such a situation?
  2. 11 May '10 23:20
    Carlson must be the eventual challenger I agree. I personally prefer Topalov's manner of play but conceed (reluctantly) that Anand deserved his win. A very exciting and enjoyable contest. Thanks to both contestants I think.
  3. 12 May '10 02:26
    Earlier I had posted elsewhere that it would be a great disadvantage for anand playing in sofia. But playing in front of his home crowd put topalov under a lot of pressure. You could see in the press conferences that anand appeared to be more relaxed than his opponent. Topalov always had that constipated look on his face. So in the end it worked out well for anand
  4. 12 May '10 09:42
    Originally posted by Maxacre42
    Post your thoughts on the World championship match here!
    My thoughts - very good and exciting match with all the fanfare from Danailov and Topalov (no speaking to Anand, playing very quickly).
  5. Donation ketchuplover
    G.O.A.T.
    21 May '10 12:00
    Team Anand beat Team Topalov.
  6. 22 May '10 19:28
    The main website had terrible video problems.
    Could they not find more players to annotate so we could have the option of an only english speaking person? Them switching from english to Bulgarian? was annoying.

    Other than that it was a good match, I would have liked to see 1.e4 but what can you do.
    Carlsen will destroy Anand next year. Well I'm sure Anand will delay that to 2012. 😉
  7. 23 May '10 01:32
    Originally posted by Anderssen Attack
    The main website had terrible video problems.
    Could they not find more players to annotate so we could have the option of an only english speaking person? Them switching from english to Bulgarian? was annoying.

    Other than that it was a good match, I would have liked to see 1.e4 but what can you do.
    Carlsen will destroy Anand next year. Well I'm sure Anand will delay that to 2012. 😉
    I'm a hugeeee Carlsen fan, but he still blunders and I think his lack of experience in matches would make this a very tight match! I think he has so much potential, but he's still very young, and Anand is pretty amazing, so you can never count him out.
  8. 23 May '10 01:52
    Anand amazing? He only won because when the power went out Team Anand abducted Topalov and replaced him with a "look-a-like".
  9. 24 May '10 00:37
    Originally posted by Anderssen Attack
    Anand amazing? He only won because when the power went out Team Anand abducted Topalov and replaced him with a "look-a-like".
    I can't believe I didn't notice sooner! I knew something was fishy when Topalov wasn't accusing Anand of cheating.
  10. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    25 May '10 13:38
    Originally posted by Maxacre42
    Post your thoughts on the World championship match here!

    Anand ended up winning 6.5 - 5.5 after Topalov made a horrible blunder in an otherwise exciting position.

    My thoughts : I thought Anand was going to be rusty since he seemed pretty inactive these past few months. Considering this and the fact that the match was on Topalov's soil, I thought th ...[text shortened]... match. I wonder how a skilled Carlsen would fare vs an experienced Anand in such a situation?
    I agree. It was refreshing to see 2 excellent players simply play a WC chess match without much personal hatred (i.e. Karpov-Kasparov), or a genius nutcase demanding cameras being removed (i.e. Bobby Fischer), or too much political drama (i.e. Karpov-Korchnoi). These 2 people managed to behave normally.