1. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    12 Sep '08 17:241 edit
    I took some time to look at http://playgo.to/interactive/ site and I find go game quite interesting. I wonder if getting good at chess helps being good at go and vice versa.

I don't have high ambitions for go, but I must say that could be the only game that can compare with the complexity and beauty of chess.

That games has extremly simple basic rules but extremly complex strategy and it is said that the style of play / strategy greatly reflects someones personalitie.

Any go player around here ?
  2. St. Paul, Minnesota
    Moves
    12 Sep '08 17:29
    I know very little about Go, but I don't think that being good at one would help with the other.
  3. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    12 Sep '08 17:30
    Originally posted by MrHand
    I know very little about Go, but I don't think that being good at one would help with the other.
    Why not ? Go seems to stretch the brain quite a bit when it comes to long term strategic plans...
  4. Joined
    06 May '08
    Moves
    12 Sep '08 17:47
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    Why not ? Go seems to stretch the brain quite a bit when it comes to long term strategic plans...
    If you wanted to try other established games similar to chess for a different perspective I'd choose games like xiangqi and maybe shogi (Chinese and Japanese chess). They feature very similar themes to chess.
  5. St. Paul, Minnesota
    Moves
    12 Sep '08 17:52
    Well, Michael Jordan was a world class Basketball player but so-so golfer. I think it is sort of like that. But again, I know little about Go. It just seems to me that the tactics are very different than those of Chess.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Sep '08 21:13
    I don't think it would help about strategy, but go too has some kind of visualization, i.e moving pieces (although one type of piece) around in your head, so it might help that way.
  7. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    12 Sep '08 22:07
    I like the idea of learning that game very much. It is pretty exotic here in Europe (I suposs in US too) and it would be very nice to know how to play it at a reasonable level.

It looks very demanding but I like the fact that it lets to your personality to affect the result that much. At least that is what I've read.
  8. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    12 Sep '08 23:48
    Go is a game, older and more complex than chess. Humans can still crush computers because depth of calculation is less significance. Go is a game and I don't play games.
  9. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    12 Sep '08 23:501 edit
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Go is a game, older and more complex than chess. Humans can still crush computers because depth of calculation is less significance. Go is a game and I don't play games.
    What about chess ? Not to mention poker ? 😀

You don't play those games, do you ?
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    13 Sep '08 03:13
    I took some time to look at http://playgo.to/interactive/ site and I find go game quite interesting. I wonder if getting good at chess helps being good at go and vice versa.

I don't have high ambitions for go, but I must say that could be the only game that can compare with the complexity and beauty of chess.

That games has extremly simple basic rules ...[text shortened]... style of play / strategy greatly reflects someones personalitie.

Any go player around here ?
    I've had my days playing the Game of Go. I enjoyed the complexity of the game, yet the simple rules. I think Game of Go is deeper than Chess. But if you know one, then it can be helpful for the other. It's about "If I do this, he'll do that." as in chess.

The reason I quit was that it was hard to find opponents. I was the one teaching others, without being taught myself. I was often the best, not because I was good, but because I coldn't find anyone else who was better...
  11. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    13 Sep '08 04:49
    What about chess ? Not to mention poker ? 😀

You don't play those games, do you ?
    Chess is not a game in the usual sense of the term. I only play poker while drinking on fishing trips.
  12. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    13 Sep '08 04:51
    Originally posted by FabianFnas

The reason I quit was that it was hard to find opponents. I was the one teaching others, without being taught myself. I was often the best, not because I was good, but because I coldn't find anyone else who was better...
    http://www.ficgs.com/ offers go, as well as chess.
  13. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    13 Sep '08 04:55
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    http://www.ficgs.com/ offers go, as well as chess.
    Sorry to say, I've entirely abandonned Game of Go.
  14. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    13 Sep '08 06:22
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I've had my days playing the Game of Go. I enjoyed the complexity of the game, yet the simple rules. I think Game of Go is deeper than Chess. But if you know one, then it can be helpful for the other. It's about "If I do this, he'll do that." as in chess.

The reason I quit was that it was hard to find opponents. I was the one teaching others, without b ...[text shortened]... the best, not because I was good, but because I coldn't find anyone else who was better...
    It's not fair to say that either is deeper given how different they are. Go is indeed more difficult for computers, but this does not make it more difficult or deep for humans. Even easy tasks like recognizing text in a busy background are extremely difficult for computers.

With that said, my curiosity brought me to Go about a year ago and like chess, I thought it was interesting as well as complex. I even played a bit on Yahoo!. However, after about a week, I realized that I liked the piece variety, attacks, structures etc. in chess more. Additionally, I wanted to become fairly good in one or the other and I knew that playing both seriously was a bit much. Thus, I chose to focus more on OTB chess.
  15. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    13 Sep '08 11:40
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    It's not fair to say that either is deeper given how different they are. Go is indeed more difficult for computers, but this does not make it more difficult or deep for humans. Even easy tasks like recognizing text in a busy background are extremely difficult for computers.

With that said, my curiosity brought me to Go about a year ago and like chess, ...[text shortened]... nd I knew that playing both seriously was a bit much. Thus, I chose to focus more on OTB chess.
    same here, I think playing both at high level is too much, you need to read, to study...I want first to get FM in chess and after that 1 dan amateur in Go 🙂
    I like go, the strategy is deeper, but the chess tactics and the figures are nicer...on the other side the simplicity of Go is nicer...and the fact that there are no draws and the computers are still weak there I like....

I think learning one might somehow help the other, like lets say ski helps snowboarding...you get better physical shape, you get used with the snow, with the speed, with the weather, with the mountains, with the falls, etcetera...(similar for Go and Chess)

I also quit Go for now as it is not so popular here(chess is seen like beeing a much more "serious" game) and also there is not enough time to be strong in both for me right now...
    Last time I played(about 1-2 years ago) I played it for about a month, read one Go book and reached about 9qyu rating if I remember well...
    It was amazing how fast you progress in the beginning, only with some play and some small reading (unlike in chess where I am already at some level where it is not so easy to progress)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree