1. Hollow earth
    Moves
    03 Aug '08 11:59
    I refuse to post in that other thread and I do want to share this story.So...new thread 🙂

A friend and me were going over a famous chessgame: Steinitz - Von Bardeleben,Hastings 1895.After the game my friend said "Geesh,I wish I was as good as that Bardeleben",I said "You mean,Steinitz.Von Bardeleben was Black,he lost" "No",says my friend,"I mean Von Bardeleben,I would be happy if I got so good I knew my position was resignable at the point where he did!".

Think my friend had a point there 🙂
  2. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    03 Aug '08 17:10
    Originally posted by Katastroof
    I refuse to post in that other thread and I do want to share this story.So...new thread 🙂

A friend and me were going over a famous chessgame: Steinitz - Von Bardeleben,Hastings 1895.After the game my friend said "Geesh,I wish I was as good as that Bardeleben",I said "You mean,Steinitz.Von Bardeleben was Black,he lost" "No",says my friend,"I mean Von B ...[text shortened]... tion was resignable at the point where he did!".

lol, true.. ive never thought about it before that way 🙂
  3. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    03 Aug '08 17:21

A friend and me were going over a famous chessgame: Steinitz - Von Bardeleben,Hastings 1895.After the game my friend said "Geesh,I wish I was as good as that Bardeleben",I said "You mean,Steinitz.Von Bardeleben was Black,he lost" "No",says my friend,"I mean Von B ...[text shortened]... tion was resignable at the point where he did!".

The funny thing is, Von Bardeleben didn't actually resign the game...
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Aug '08 17:281 edit
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    Yes, he walked off and lost on time. He started off doing well in the tournament, then started losing games, but he didn't resign any of them, he just walked off and let his clock run out. A poem started making the rounds poking fun at him for it.

Just like a lot of people on this site.
  5. e4
    Moves
    03 Aug '08 17:31
    Poor old Von Bardeleben. Another one of those chess players
    who are more famous for losing a game than anything else.

It's like foorball players who miss crucial penalties in shoot-outs.

He actually has a few good wins to his credit and won a few tournaments.
  6. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    03 Aug '08 17:33
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    Yes, he walked off and lost on time. He started off doing well in the tournament, then started losing games, but he didn't resign any of them, he just walked off and let his clock run out. A poem started making the rounds poking fun at him for it.

Just like a lot of people on this site.
    I didn't realise he did it with all his losses!

I don't suppose you know the poem?
  7. e4
    Moves
    03 Aug '08 17:48
    The Poem

Von Bardeleben is a hard name to rhyme
    At Hastings he kept losing on time.

Yes he was a bad loser.
    He's now here as an engine user.

Cpoyright - Greenpawn34 August 2008
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Aug '08 17:51
    I didn't realise he did it with all his losses!

I don't suppose you know the poem?
    Ohhhhh, no, I ran across it on the net a long time ago, it would take some serious googling to track it down. I could be mistaken, maybe he didn't do it on all his games after that. Walking out on Steinitz and losing on time may have been enough. Steinitz got the Brilliancy Prize for the game, Von Bardleben got a poem about his poor sportsmanship.
  9. Hollow earth
    Moves
    03 Aug '08 19:56
    Yes I read about that too.The fact he walked out instead of actually resigning doesn't change the point my friend made,Von Bardeleben knew his position was resignable.
    Besides,playing on the net for a few years I've come to the conclusion that letting your clock run down is a common way of resigning a chessgame 😞
    Von Bardeleben was ahead of his time!
  10. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    03 Aug '08 20:12
    Trust Edward Winter to sort the matter out:
    http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/extra/steinitzvonbardeleben.html

If you have a month to spend and you are a lover of all things chessic, you could do worse than read every column of Edward Winter's "Chess Notes". I have to stay away from it because it's like a highly addictive drug.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Aug '08 20:13
    Yes I read about that too.The fact he walked out instead of actually resigning doesn't change the point my friend made,Von Bardeleben knew his position was resignable.
    Besides,playing on the net for a few years I've come to the conclusion that letting your clock run down is a common way of resigning a chessgame 😞
    Von Bardeleben was ahead of his time!
    OK here's a true story from a tournament. Guy was playing a weekender, last game late Sunday he had a dead win and his opponent played the clock out to the first time control instead of resigning a hopeless position, sealing his move to be played the next weekend. The bad sport KNEW when he sealed his move that the poor opponent lived a couple of hours away out of town and would have to drive over 4 hours out and back the next Saturday to continue the game. The following Saturday, when he showed up, his opponent with the losing position wasn't there, so he started his clock, called a TD over to open the sealed move. The move was "RESIGN".
  12. Hollow earth
    Moves
    03 Aug '08 21:51
    Trust Edward Winter to sort the matter out:
    http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/extra/steinitzvonbardeleben.html

If you have a month to spend and you are a lover of all things chessic, you could do worse than read every column of Edward Winter's "Chess Notes". I have to stay away from it because it's like a highly addictive drug.
    I've heard 3 versions:
    1) Von Bardeleben walked out furious about his loss
    2) Von Bardeleben actually finished the game and the entire story is nonsense
    3) Von Bardeleben walked out in protest of noisy spectators (Winter's version)

I agree we stick with Winter 🙂

That guy in Sam's story deserves to be hung by his testicles!
  13. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    04 Aug '08 00:24

Haha! So true...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree