1. Standard membermalinga
    That would be me
    Behind the couch
    Moves
    08 Dec '06 14:50
    I'm sure this has been asked before so forgive me.

I want a cheap (free) database for my home PC. I would like one that I can paste all these RHP games into plus games from masters. Preferably it would have an analysis engine like Fritz to go through games pointing out better (missed) moves.

I am a computer idiot so the easier to use the better. Suggestions please...
  2. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    08 Dec '06 14:58
    Originally posted by malinga

I want a cheap (free) database for my home PC. I would like one that I can paste all these RHP games into plus games from masters. Preferably it would have an analysis engine like Fritz to go through games pointing out better (missed) moves.

Both ChessBase Light and Chess Assistant Light are free and adequate for saving your own games. Both come with engines.

In CB light, each database is limited to 8000 games; in CA light, 15000.

I prefer ChessBase, but CA has its advocates too.
  3. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    08 Dec '06 14:581 edit
    Originally posted by malinga

The free one I have is SCID you can download it from scid.sourceforge.net this is the database reader. The way I got the actual database was to download the collection of games from ftp.cis.uab.edu/pub/hyatt/pgn/enormous.zip which is a database of over a million games. The problem is there are duplicates that you need to remove, and the spell check function doesn't work perfectly. The alternative is to download the pgn games from TWIC one at a time (I've done this it takes a couple of hours, but you'll get a better database), and start your database that way. It comes with a (rather poor) engine called scidlet, but there are plenty of free ones, you should be able to find a compiled version of Crafty somewhere (I think www.chessbase.com has one for free download).

Alternatively go to www.redhotpawn.com/gamesexplorer and use that.
  4. Launceston
    Moves
    08 Dec '06 15:09
    Yes I can recommend Scid as well. Great piece of software is that. As for where I got my collection of master games from, I downloaded them at http://www.chesscollect.com/PGNDownloads.html and then combined them into one big database using Scid.
  5. Joined
    02 Apr '04
    Moves
    08 Dec '06 15:13
    Redhotpawn has a database as well in the works. Check out the site announcement forum.
  6. Standard membermalinga
    That would be me
    Behind the couch
    Moves
    08 Dec '06 17:19
    Thank you all for your tips...
  7. over there
    Moves
    08 Dec '06 20:09
    http://www.shredderchess.com/online-chess/online-databases/opening-database.html

It's free and very useful.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Dec '06 20:22
    Hi Falco.....remember me???

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree