Grunfeld Vs. English

Grunfeld Vs. English

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R

Moves
22 Oct 08

I need some advice on c4 Nf6 Nc3 d5 cd nxd positions. I usually just wing this as black in tournament play and I have had success, but I was wondering if someone has some concrete lines or knows some good sources.

Thanks.

t

Moves
22 Oct 08

Originally posted by RabbitCold
I need some advice on c4 Nf6 Nc3 d5 cd nxd positions. I usually just wing this as black in tournament play and I have had success, but I was wondering if someone has some concrete lines or knows some good sources.

Thanks.
In the grunfeld black usually plays ...c5 at some point. Maybe you should try a book on it. I recommend The Grunfeld Defence: Revealed.

k

washington

Moves
22 Oct 08

game in progress. Take a look at this game. Most of the lines are book. I don't like the english grunfeld point as black after playing it. I think white can easily draw at higher levels and will usually come up with a much better position. A good line to play against c4 if you don't like those closed positions is to play Nf6 and c5 and a bishop fiancehtto on g7. white goes for control of the d5 square and black for the d4 square. Another line you may like is c6 and d5. Black will not have to worry about some of the annoying positions that white can come up with.

Game 5553187

k

washington

Moves
22 Oct 08

I have grown stubborn to books. If you want to learn an opening go to a database and look at several games by masters. Find out the key moves they make. Do you see a knight move to a cetain square very common? do you see a pawn move or a bishop move to control a certain square. Buying books usually ends up having them left on the shelf. you could try a dutch setup.

t

Moves
22 Oct 08

This book is great. I know what you mean though.

Game 5391878 game also in progress and I missed Qxc3 instead of dxc3.

p

Moves
22 Oct 08

This game is given as good for white in Winning With The English.

I can't say how strong this variation is for white. Not playing d4 does make it interesting though.