1. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    05 Sep '07 00:35
    I was taught early in my playing that you don't move pawns if you don't have to, and that moving the rook pawn in particular weakens the position because of the knight 3 square and the fact that you don't want to keep your bishop pawn out of play. Moreover, it opens you up to a knight pawn attack at g5, etc., though it seems like your opponent has to weaken his/her side a lot more just to conduct the attack.

So many players at all levels routinely play the pawn when the opposing bishop has the knight in a pin, and so rarely does it lead to anything other than pushing the bishop to h4 or the equivalent. Unless you intend to follow up with g5 or equivalent, which then REALLY weakens your position, is there really a point to that?

Well, I've had very few games where I pay a penalty for playing h3, etc. I almost never face a knight on f5 where I can't play g6 for fear of losing the h pawn. And in fact, in more than a few games the h3 or equivalent pawn position has kept my opponents minor pieces in check, particularly the knights. So I wonder if it's worth playing h3 against a bishop pin just to make the move with a tempo.

Any general thoughts?
  2. Joined
    18 Apr '06
    Moves
    05 Sep '07 00:56
    You should be aware that every position is unique. Therefore, these moves should be relative to the opening, i.e. the move order.
  3. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    05 Sep '07 01:26
    in the ruy lopez it seems quite ok for black to play a6 on move 3 although I do know what you mean about the knight problem - I dont have it to hand as it was a real life game but I played Nf5 in a knockout tournament and my opponant never could get rid of it and ended up being mated.
  4. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    05 Sep '07 01:53
    Game 3198051

The above game well demonstrates the power of flank pawn moves.
  5. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    05 Sep '07 02:34
    Now, where I have gotten into trouble is with a fianchetto. But even then, Kh7 seems to shore things up nicely in most positions. For awhile anyway.
  6. Joined
    05 Aug '07
    Moves
    05 Sep '07 10:10
    What many beginners do is play the h-pawn to prevent a pin and that's what they're taught not to do cause it wastes time and,most of the time,the pin is not to be feared anyway.Once the pin is in place,and there's no tactical reason preventing h3(h6),you can play it although it still weakens your kingside a bit.The probable reason you've seldom been punished for playing h3(h6) is that it's simply not easy to punish this 'mistake'.Usually it even isn't a mistake at all.

I'd also like to mention there are often better,and more intresting,ways to get rid of a pin than by playing h3(h6).
  7. Standard memberRaven69
    Different
    Moves
    05 Sep '07 18:30
    Originally posted by ouwe belg
    I'd also like to mention there are often better,and more intresting,ways to get rid of a pin than by playing h3(h6).
    Like...?
  8. Joined
    05 Aug '07
    Moves
    06 Sep '07 00:18
    Originally posted by Raven69
    Like...?
    Tactics which either allow you to move the queen out of check,force the opponent to trade the bishop for the knight,force the opponent to release the pin(bishop needed elsewhere) or,the most shocking, moving the knight anyway leaving your queen en prise like I was able to do in this game Game 3954276
  9. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Sep '07 00:27
    where did i put my beer?.....
  10. Standard memberRaven69
    Different
    Moves
    06 Sep '07 00:52
    Originally posted by ouwe belg
    Tactics which either allow you to move the queen out of check,force the opponent to trade the bishop for the knight,force the opponent to release the pin(bishop needed elsewhere) or,the most shocking, moving the knight anyway leaving your queen en prise like I was able to do in this game Game 3954276
    Nice game. 🙂
  11. Joined
    05 Aug '07
    Moves
    06 Sep '07 01:04
    Originally posted by Raven69
    Nice game. 🙂
    Thanks.Though Black could have easily prevented the problems with a simple Nxf3.But the game serves well for making my point about h3 and pins 🙂
  12. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    06 Sep '07 01:38
    Originally posted by Kunsoo

Any general thoughts?
    Two:

I've been punished on both sides of the Italian Opening when I've failed to play the prophylactic h3/h6 prior to the pin.

I've won many games sacrificing a bishop for two pawns when my opponent has played h3/h6.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree