half moves

half moves

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a

Hamilton,New Zealand

Moves
21 Jun 06

Have a query - and seeing I'm at work - can't look too long to find the answer here.
I remember playing as a kid and we used to play if we haven't check mated in 21 moves (from only one person having king on board) then its a draw!
Does this have anything to do with the half moves since last capture/pawn move total that is displayed next to the board?
I'm in a game - and its tight - but we have gone 26 half moves without a capture or pawn move! Is there a limit on this before its a draw? and also does checking effect whether it could be a draw or not?
Just wondering on the rules.
Thanks

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
21 Jun 06

Originally posted by abigham
Have a query - and seeing I'm at work - can't look too long to find the answer here.
I remember playing as a kid and we used to play if we haven't check mated in 21 moves (from only one person having king on board) then its a draw!
Does this have anything to do with the half moves since last capture/pawn move total that is displayed next to the board?
I'm ...[text shortened]... oes checking effect whether it could be a draw or not?
Just wondering on the rules.
Thanks
If at any point of the game you got 100 half-moves without a pawn move or capture then either player can claim a draw (until either a pawn move or capture is played). No checking the king does not change this. No it doesn't matter what material is on the board either.

T

Moves
21 Jun 06

not sure how it is on rhp, but thought i should mention that normally if the same position occurs 3 times, you can claim a draw.

a

Hamilton,New Zealand

Moves
21 Jun 06

Same position three times and its a draw is on rhp!
100 half moves is a lot!!!!!
Long way to go then :-(

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
21 Jun 06

Originally posted by TheDarkKnight
not sure how it is on rhp, but thought i should mention that normally if the same position occurs 3 times, you can claim a draw.
Yes that is the case on RHP.

l

Milton Keynes, UK

Moves
22 Jun 06

Originally posted by abigham
Same position three times and its a draw is on rhp!
100 half moves is a lot!!!!!
Long way to go then :-(
It isn't a lot when you have a knight, bishop and king against a lone king. 😉