Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 21 Jun '06 22:50
    Have a query - and seeing I'm at work - can't look too long to find the answer here.
    I remember playing as a kid and we used to play if we haven't check mated in 21 moves (from only one person having king on board) then its a draw!
    Does this have anything to do with the half moves since last capture/pawn move total that is displayed next to the board?
    I'm in a game - and its tight - but we have gone 26 half moves without a capture or pawn move! Is there a limit on this before its a draw? and also does checking effect whether it could be a draw or not?
    Just wondering on the rules.
    Thanks
  2. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    21 Jun '06 22:57
    Originally posted by abigham
    Have a query - and seeing I'm at work - can't look too long to find the answer here.
    I remember playing as a kid and we used to play if we haven't check mated in 21 moves (from only one person having king on board) then its a draw!
    Does this have anything to do with the half moves since last capture/pawn move total that is displayed next to the board?
    I'm ...[text shortened]... oes checking effect whether it could be a draw or not?
    Just wondering on the rules.
    Thanks
    If at any point of the game you got 100 half-moves without a pawn move or capture then either player can claim a draw (until either a pawn move or capture is played). No checking the king does not change this. No it doesn't matter what material is on the board either.
  3. 21 Jun '06 23:13
    not sure how it is on rhp, but thought i should mention that normally if the same position occurs 3 times, you can claim a draw.
  4. 21 Jun '06 23:38
    Same position three times and its a draw is on rhp!
    100 half moves is a lot!!!!!
    Long way to go then :-(
  5. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    21 Jun '06 23:39
    Originally posted by TheDarkKnight
    not sure how it is on rhp, but thought i should mention that normally if the same position occurs 3 times, you can claim a draw.
    Yes that is the case on RHP.
  6. 22 Jun '06 12:48
    Originally posted by abigham
    Same position three times and its a draw is on rhp!
    100 half moves is a lot!!!!!
    Long way to go then :-(
    It isn't a lot when you have a knight, bishop and king against a lone king.