1. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    17 Dec '06 03:22
    I know this has been a controversial issue recently, but I was curious to see some games where a losing side refuses to resign and eventually achieves a stalemate or draw for whatever reason ...

Obviously, I think there is nothing wrong with hanging in a game to achieve stalemate or a draw due to indefinite check, etc. ...

However, I must admit that I have been VERY close to resigning in numerous games but I have held on to see if my opponent accidentally blunders in his/her excitement to execute checkmate ...

Again, if anyone has any games where they salvaged a stalemate or a draw by hanging in there, please post those games! 🙂

Thanks
  2. Standard memberLordofADown
    King of all Hills
    Connecticut
    Moves
    17 Dec '06 03:24
    The game was meant to be played to the end 🙂
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Dec '06 03:32

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    17 Dec '06 03:36
    Again...I know games should be played out if one player wants to, but I was hoping for examples...currently I am playing a game in which I have nothing but a king and I am praying my oppenent screws up and stalemates me...but I was hoping other people also had game examples...mainly for evidence and for encouragement...
  5. Standard memberLordofADown
    King of all Hills
    Connecticut
    Moves
    17 Dec '06 03:42
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    Again...I know games should be played out if one player wants to, but I was hoping for examples...currently I am playing a game in which I have nothing but a king and I am praying my oppenent screws up and stalemates me...but I was hoping other people also had game examples...mainly for evidence and for encouragement...
    Ok, in your game where u only have a King, it is possible that it end in stalemate, but that is entirely up to your opponent. Only he can make it happen, sorry 🙁
  6. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    17 Dec '06 03:44
    Originally posted by LordofADown
    Ok, in your game where u only have a King, it is possible that it end in stalemate, but that is entirely up to your opponent. Only he can make it happen, sorry 🙁
    I realize that...but people make mistakes 🙂
  7. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    17 Dec '06 03:501 edit
    I'll even take games in which a losing player was close to being stalemated but inevitably lost nonetheless...

For instance, take my recently lost Game 2896783

I knew from the knight fork on my king and rook that I couldn't win, but I hung in there hoping he/she wouldn't win, either...

Again, please post any games in which a losing player achieves stalemate or a draw or ALMOST achieves a stalemate or a draw but inevitably loses anyway...
  8. Standard memberLordofADown
    King of all Hills
    Connecticut
    Moves
    17 Dec '06 03:51
    its good to be optimistic, keep your chin up 😉
  9. Standard memberLordofADown
    King of all Hills
    Connecticut
    Moves
    17 Dec '06 03:521 edit
    I'll even take games in which a losing player was close to being stalemated but inevitably lost nonetheless...

For instance, take my recently lost Game 2896783

I knew from the knight fork on my king and rook that I couldn't win, but I hung in there hoping he/she wouldn't win, either...

Again, please post any games in which a losing player a ...[text shortened]... s stalemate or a draw or ALMOST achieves a stalemate or a draw but inevitably loses anyway...
    57. Qf8!!! woulda been hilarious
  10. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    17 Dec '06 03:56
    Originally posted by LordofADown
    57. Qf8!!! woulda been hilarious
    That's what you gotta hope for 😀 🙁
  11. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    17 Dec '06 04:24
    I DID IT!!!

I managed to salvage a draw even though I was losing (severely)!

AND, it wasn't completely my opponent's fault; I just noticed the possibility and slowly executed it...

Game 2891300
  12. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    17 Dec '06 04:45
    I DID IT!!!

I managed to salvage a draw even though I was losing (severely)!

AND, it wasn't completely my opponent's fault; I just noticed the possibility and slowly executed it...

Game 2891300
    no, it's black's fault (but meh, gj finding that and making him look like an idiot...i guess...)

by playing on in the hopelessly lost position, you're hoping that your opponent will play stupid moves, in other words, you're playing your opponent instead of the board (imo) Am I the only one who finds this to be bad chess psyche?
  13. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    17 Dec '06 04:47
    Originally posted by YUG0slav
    no, it's black's fault (but meh, gj finding that and making him look like an idiot...i guess...)

by playing on in the hopelessly lost position, you're hoping that your opponent will play stupid moves, in other words, you're playing your opponent instead of the board (imo) Am I the only one who finds this to be bad chess psyche?
    Yes - why quit? Doesn't it really tick you off when your opponent refuses to quit? Exactly. Who wouldn't take the chance to throw an opponent off guard?
  14. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    17 Dec '06 04:48
    Originally posted by YUG0slav

I don't think there's anything wrong with it...
  15. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    17 Dec '06 04:51
    I don't think there's anything wrong with it...
    that's because you like to waste people's time

(btw, lol at the rhp logo covered in snow)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree