1. Joined
    30 Aug '04
    Moves
    23 Apr '17 09:51
    I remember seeing a amazing move move on a game at ch..ess...games....com (sorry not sure of the rules about posting other sites here). It was black and they played Queen to h4 or H5 stopping a multitude of threats creating and everything. I know the game when I see it, so how do I go about searching the databases to find this move/ game. My internet history isn't much help at this point. I might have seen it on an old computer.
    Thanks in advance
    the7tidlys.
  2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    23 Apr '17 17:27
    Originally posted by the7tidlys
    I remember seeing a amazing move move on a game at ch..ess...games....com (sorry not sure of the rules about posting other sites here). It was black and they played Queen to h4 or H5 stopping a multitude of threats creating and everything. I know the game when I see it, so how do I go about searching the databases to find this move/ game. My internet his ...[text shortened]... h help at this point. I might have seen it on an old computer.
    Thanks in advance
    the7tidlys.
    That's a bit tenuous. Was this a grandmaster game and can you remember the opening?

With regards to other sites, I doubt the admins mind you referring to a site as long as you are not blatantly advertising them.
  3. Joined
    30 Aug '04
    Moves
    23 Apr '17 21:03
    Yeah not much to go on.
    It was before WW2, black was an Eastern European name, maybe Russian.
    I cannot remember the opening.
    It would be great if someone knew the game off the top of their head, but I really just hoping for the best way of searching for it? or any other game for that matter.
    Thanks again
  4. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    24 Apr '17 02:26
    Yeah not much to go on.
    It would be great if someone knew the game off the top of their head, but I really just hoping for the best way of searching for it? or any other game for that matter.
    Thanks again
    The problem is that your search term is too non-specific. You need to remember the name of one or other of the players. That a particular move was played at some point doesn't really help since chessgames.com doesn't let you search that. What you could try doing is looking for a list of East European players from before 1939 and seeing if you can spot the players name.
  5. e4
    Moves
    24 Apr '17 09:211 edit
    If you saw it on chessgames.com you must have read some of the kibitzing.

Try and remember a key word. You can search the Kibitzing for that word
    scrolling past any mentions of it in a game beofre WWII.

If it was on an old computer it was probably a famous game.

Did Black win? Was it a late middle game move?

You search on a D.B. for a position with a BQ on h4.result =0-1 and setting
    the date to 1900-1939 restricting the move numbers to between 15-40.

That will list about 800 games! Scroll through it see if you can recognise a name.
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    24 Apr '17 23:08
    Yeah not much to go on.
    Thanks again
    GM with an eastern European or Russian name.

That really narrows the field.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Apr '17 14:03
    In Tal vs. Korchnoi match from 1968, on of them played Qh5 nd won as Black. I think it was Tal's desperate win in English opening.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree