1. Standard memberExuma
    Anansi
    Woodshed
    Moves
    23 Jul '12 00:11
    From this position - black to play and mate in 7 - every move is a check, but you have to find the right ones...

Solution below

2. e4
    Moves
    23 Jul '12 00:39
    Super stuff . You can mate with the a-pawn. I was doing it my head
    and thought for some reason it took one move longer, but no,
    apparently I can't count and think at the same time , it's still mate in 10.

3. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    23 Jul '12 13:17
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Super stuff . You can mate with the a-pawn. I was doing it my head
    and thought for some reason it took one move longer, but no,
    apparently I can't count and think at the same time , it's still mate in 10.

[pgn]1. f3 e5 2. e4 Nf6 3. g4 Nxe4 4. Bc4 Qh4+ 5. Ke2 Qf2+ 6. Kd3 Nc5+ 7. Kc3 Qd4+ 8. Kb4 a5+ 9. Ka3 Nb3+ {I like this. The Knight stops b4.}10. Kxb3 a4[/pgn]
    Black can scotch that, though, by going to a4 on move 10 or to b5 on move 9. It's still mate in 10, but not by the a pawn.

Richard
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    24 Jul '12 05:05
    Originally posted by Exuma
    From this position - black to play and mate in 7 - every move is a check, but you have to find the right ones...

[fen]rnbqkb1r/pppp1ppp/8/4p3/2B1n1P1/5P2/PPPP3P/RNBQK1NR b KQkq - 0 4 [/fen]

Solution below

[pgn]
    1.f3 e5 2.e4 Nf6 3.g4 Nxe4 4.Bc4 Qh4+ 5.Ke2 Qf2+ 6.Kd3 Nc5+ 7.Kc3 Qd4+
    8.Kb4 Na4+ 9.Kxa4 Qxc4+ 10.b4 Qxb4# [/pgn]
    That is a cool mate for Black. But I seriously doubt anyone will play those 4 opening moves as White?
  5. Joined
    17 Jan '06
    Moves
    24 Jul '12 18:34
    This is a magnificent blending of the e4 and Barnes (f3) and Grob (g4) openings. The white king is not hemmed in as it is in many openings and so can be developed earlier in the game. I also like the death grip of the white e and g pawns on the critical f5 square.
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    24 Jul '12 18:522 edits
    Originally posted by homedepotov
    This is a magnificent blending of the e4 and Barnes (f3) and Grob (g4) openings. The white king is not hemmed in as it is in many openings and so can be developed earlier in the game. I also like the death grip of the white e and g pawns on the critical f5 square.
    Do you mean the king can get develped to get attacked earlier and easily?
  7. Joined
    17 Jan '06
    Moves
    24 Jul '12 19:041 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Do you mean the king can get develped to get attacked earlier and easily?
    No. Yes. Maybe. It encourages quick and unsound attacks as the black player might easily wreck his position due to his eagerness to punish such apparently unsound pawn moves as quickly as possible, to get in a brilliant Tal-like mating attack and checkmate white in 25 moves or less and then show his friends how brilliant he is.

This is great psychological strategy.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    24 Jul '12 19:421 edit
    No. Yes. Maybe. It encourages quick and unsound attacks as the black player might easily wreck his position due to his eagerness to punish such apparently unsound pawn moves as quickly as possible, to get in a brilliant Tal-like mating attack and checkmate white in 25 moves or less and then show his friends how brilliant he is.

So you play into a sucidal position by playing f3 and g4 as two of your first moves so that you can get into your opponent's mind?

This would mean that you have absolutely no respect for your opponent and are very arrogant.
  9. Standard memberExuma
    Anansi
    Woodshed
    Moves
    24 Jul '12 19:54

Yes! Brilliant. Some of us get it ;-)
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    24 Jul '12 20:40
    Originally posted by Exuma
    Yes! Brilliant. Some of us get it ;-)
    Okay, but even this is strong for Black:

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree