1. Standard memberTomCr
    woodpusher
    Cincinnati
    Moves
    08 Aug '10 02:28
    What causes hills and valleys in the ratings chart for a lot of people? I have these as well. Some people don't rise and fall, but I have done this.
  2. Joined
    03 Aug '10
    Moves
    08 Aug '10 03:13
    winning streak/losing streak?
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Aug '10 04:16
    Originally posted by TomCr
    What causes hills and valleys in the ratings chart for a lot of people? I have these as well. Some people don't rise and fall, but I have done this.
    Heck, mine is a mountain range."😉
  4. Joined
    03 Jan '10
    Moves
    08 Aug '10 13:24
    I think the biggest issue is having too many games on the go. this leads to mass resigning/timeouts or poor play. I ran up a silly number at one point and I needed to play far too quickly to make all the neccessary moves. I played on in all my games but not very well! i know talking to some of my opponents that they have mass resigned games. There also the last minute emergency. I played a guy who had to go to Iraq at short notice. I guess playing all his games out on time was the last thing on his mind.
  5. Joined
    19 Feb '10
    Moves
    08 Aug '10 18:28
    When your rating is high you play high rated players giving more losses, forcing the rating to go down. When your rating is low you play low rated players forcing the rating to go up again. Thats why the chart have hills and valleys characteristic.
  6. Joined
    16 Oct '09
    Moves
    08 Aug '10 18:45
    When you're on a chess studying and playing streak (when you're motivated), it goes up, when your tired of chess and need a break (when you're unmotivated), it goes down.
  7. Standard memberhunterknox
    Hopeless romantic
    The sticks
    Moves
    08 Aug '10 19:531 edit
    Random walk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_walk

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree