1. Joined
    03 May '05
    Moves
    17 May '07 11:061 edit
    in the last episode of the programme House MD is playing some kid who opens with 1. f4. and House says 'ah, Bird's opening, the sign of passivity' and plays 1. ... c5 to whit the kid says 'ah, the sicilian defence, the sign of a idiot'. The game seems to go 2. Nf3 d5.

Surely this can't rightly be called a sicilian, even through later transposition, can it? Strange error, i thought Hugh Laurie played the game. Also, Bird's hardly seems passive. And if sicilian is an idiot's response, well, all the world are fools.
  2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    17 May '07 11:22
    It's normally refered to as the Sicilian against Bird's opening as well for want of any other name.
  3. Joined
    03 May '05
    Moves
    17 May '07 11:342 edits
    Oh, ok thanks.. I've never heard that before, chessgames seems to call it the dutch variation of bird's.
  4. Joined
    19 Mar '05
    Moves
    17 May '07 11:40
    Originally posted by pootstick
    in the last episode of the programme House MD is playing some kid who opens with 1. f4. and House says 'ah, Bird's opening, the sign of passivity' and plays 1. ... c5 to whit the kid says 'ah, the sicilian defence, the sign of a idiot'. The game seems to go 2. Nf3 d5.

Surely this can't rightly be called a sicilian, even through later transposition, can ...[text shortened]... ly seems passive. And if sicilian is an idiot's response, well, all the world are fools.
    Bird's can transpose to the Grand Prix attack line in the Sicilian.
  5. Seattle
    Moves
    18 May '07 05:47
    i liked how the kid bluffed house into resignation, i do have to say I've used that one several times in OTB
  6. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    18 May '07 18:12
    i didnt see it...could you explain?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree